+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A definition of Love

A definition of Love

Hi everybody,

I did a website about the definition of love. I explain with my own words and experiences, my definition of love. You can let a message online if you want to react about the subject. It's a french website but I translated it in english (all is not translate for now, but you can visit it). Thank you and don't hesitate to e-mail me.

The website is: [url]http://membres.lycos.fr/lamourveritable[/url]

lamourveritable means "The real love" (in fact it is: L'Amour véritable)

Bye !!

Eguigui

uhhh no...its all in french. I bet it is a lame, un-truthful, wrong, non-scientific definition of love so I do not really care.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, plus, what's with all these love stories?

Hi Only-virgins and Frasbee,

It is not a lame, it is true and you have the translation in english, just clik on the USA map. But this story is totally true, I just want to share it with people and hope having reactions about it, that's all.

"For me, love is a extraordinary feeling which must be reciprocal. It’s passion without limit for someone. But love, the real one, is inexhaustible, malleable in time, but inexhaustible. When we speak about her, I agree. Her life is mine and my life is hers. Sharing everything, communicating, dialoguing. Keeping this relationship trustworthy and sincere. That is my definition of what love is."

That quote is your definition of love on that site as you say so quote for quote. my friend.....I have absolutly ZERO idea of what the hell you are talking about. That doesn't sound like a definition to me but a complicated riddle that really has no solution.

Interesting.

Hi Only-Virgin,

Your point of view is interesting. So, you don't understand my definition, what do you think is wrong in this definition? (I don't want you to think that I am attacking you, I am not here to fight but to discuss) Explain me what do you think about it. Can I ask you to give me your own definition of love? I am not looking for a solution, why do you want a solution to this definition? It is just my own interpretation about what love is for me, that's why I want you to give me your definition (if u want to). Ok? But thanks to react about that.

Eguigui

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Unfortunately for you Egui, Virgin here is only here to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    Thats not fair. No I am not. You know that I can give an honest answer...not my fault sometimes you don't agree with it.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 21-03-05 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eguigui67
    Hi Only-Virgin,

Your point of view is interesting. So, you don't understand my definition, what do you think is wrong in this definition? (I don't want you to think that I am attacking you, I am not here to fight but to discuss) Explain me what do you think about it. Can I ask you to give me your own definition of love? I am not looking for a solution, why do you want a solution to this definition? It is just my own interpretation about what love is for me, that's why I want you to give me your definition (if u want to). Ok? But thanks to react about that.

Eguigui
    The first few paragraphs I read on that page are fantastic. It almost makes the word "love" seem relative. The only problem I found is that later you came to a conclusion about love do to your personal encounters with it but to bad that everyone has different encounters and experiences don't you think?. My definition of love is not something you want to hear because it is very blunt and many attack me because of it. In order for a word (like "love") to be a common word with a definition then first people must agree on a identical meaning. This is were the problem is. People make the word "love" mean what ever they want. I am sure you have heard people say " I love my car" .."I love my dog"..."I love this movie"..etc.

Let me put it this way....A long time ago love was used to describe that feeling you get that is chemical towards another...not like seeing a hot girl/guy on TV but rather the strange feeling you get of perfection towards another. Now a-days people seem to have combined attachemnet, caring, time, personality, compatiblility, and trust to it. The truth is that none of those things had anything to do with it in the first place. The best thing to do would be to just agree on the idea that "love" just simply means the most powerful feeling towards another that you have currently felt up to that point in your life for anyone.

I do not require anyone to agree with this idea but to just think about it. I do not argue...I discuss as well.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 21-03-05 at 01:43 PM.

See Frasbee, Virgin can discuss, and u can too because for now, I can't say that your reactions were constructive. Take the exemple of Virgin !!!

Anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    to bad that everyone has different encounters and experiences don't you think?
    I don't think it's to bad, I think it's rich and that's why I wanted to do this website and speak about my experience, to have reactions about this subject and compare different point of view.

I agree when you say "People make the word "love" mean what ever they want". But I am not speaking about this love, as you understood, I deal with feelings for someone, falling in love for someone and not for something.
    People who love their dogs and have a girl/boyfriend use the same word to express their feelings but they will explain it differently.

"love" just simply means the most powerful feeling towards another that you have currently felt up to that point in your life for anyone
    I agree with that too, but it is not only that for me, and that's what I am trying to explain in my website.

I am curious to know your definition, the one you don't want to speak about in this forum, so, why not writing me on my website and explain it to me, your email will appear nowhere, ok?

Eguigui

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thats not fair. No I am not. You know that I can give an honest answer...not my fault sometimes you don't agree with it.
    What's that Gordon?

You wanna fight me now?!

indigosoul Guest
    "Let me put it this way....A long time ago love was used to describe that feeling you get that is chemical towards another...not like seeing a hot girl/guy on TV but rather the strange feeling you get of perfection towards another. Now a-days people seem to have combined attachemnet, caring, time, personality, compatiblility, and trust to it. The truth is that none of those things had anything to do with it in the first place.

The best thing to do would be to just agree on the idea that "love" just simply means the most powerful feeling towards another that you have currently felt up to that point in your life for anyone. [/QUOTE from OV]"

While I'm all for accurate definitions, I'm having a hard time w/one. Too simplistic. Love is chemical. OK, I'll work w/this. Attachment, caring, etc. have nothing to do w/love in its original form. OK, still tracking. But are the chemical(s) for love different from those that cause attachment, caring, etc.? If so, then I can accept this definition. But are they?

The second point about "most powerful feeling", etc. at least allows for individual variance. But does it allow me to love more than one person? I'm thinking specifically of my spouse and my child, who I both love (I'm sure I make chemicals in their presence)...
    Last edited by indigosoul; 22-03-05 at 05:33 AM. Reason: clarification of previous thread content vs. new

Quote Originally Posted by indigosoul
    "Let me put it this way....A long time ago love was used to describe that feeling you get that is chemical towards another...not like seeing a hot girl/guy on TV but rather the strange feeling you get of perfection towards another. Now a-days people seem to have combined attachemnet, caring, time, personality, compatiblility, and trust to it. The truth is that none of those things had anything to do with it in the first place.

The best thing to do would be to just agree on the idea that "love" just simply means the most powerful feeling towards another that you have currently felt up to that point in your life for anyone. [/QUOTE from OV]"

While I'm all for accurate definitions, I'm having a hard time w/one. Too simplistic. Love is chemical. OK, I'll work w/this. Attachment, caring, etc. have nothing to do w/love in its original form. OK, still tracking. But are the chemical(s) for love different from those that cause attachment, caring, etc.? If so, then I can accept this definition. But are they?

The second point about "most powerful feeling", etc. at least allows for individual variance. But does it allow me to love more than one person? I'm thinking specifically of my spouse and my child, who I both love (I'm sure I make chemicals in their presence)...
    Thank you for posting more or less my definition. First of all why do you think that there is a great chemical influence on attachment? specially during love? . Attachment is a complicated issue because it has alot to do with a experience. I am VERY sorry but I am having a hard time explaining what is in my head...have you ever had that? . I know this will sound evil to you because of cultural norms but according to the REAL definiton of "love" it is impossible for you to love your own child..you don't love your child...you care and are attached to your child...as for your spouse..well you probably do love them....I hope.

On the "most powerful feeling" well...actually from my experiences and observation you can only love(be infatuated, call it what ever you like) one at a time. I have noticed that the only time I build new feelings such as these towards a new person is after the last person has not been around me for a very long time. Strangly(still can not figure out how but scientist assume smell(I dont agree though)) the feeling seems to be always mutual..its as if the chemical will not release unless both bodies agree to it.

You know I did have to actually stop and think when you asked if there are chemicals required to other feelings. I believe there are but talk is cheap. Either way a person creating a bond with another has nothing to do with love...or at least when the word "love" was thought of. If people would like to change meanings well fine but all must agree on one definiton. Thats why I think "the strongest feeling" definiton works. It would apply well to how people use it now. "I love my car" ..fine...strongest feeling towards a car because its you favorite.."I love you" strongest feeling towards a perons...works if you ask me no?
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 22-03-05 at 01:47 PM.

What's that Gordon?

You wanna fight me now?!
    I want you to agree to dis-agree sometimes. Also laugh at my jokes rather then make fun of them .

Quote Originally Posted by Eguigui67
    compare different point of view.
    That is a great and wise thing to say. My philosophy teacher always said those words hehe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast