+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online Dating Only For Pathetic People?

Quote Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
    if you are a girl, you will get TONS of fan mail from guys. It's 10 times worse for guys on dating sites
    See, that's why I'm really wondering about online dating, because I get NOTHING. Every two weeks I might get a "hey wassup" from a guy outside my age range and match percent, but that is ALL. It really bums me out.

I think it's fine. Actually it would give you a better chance to get to know someone before you meet. You'd be surprised how much you can tell about someone from the way they write, let alone the things they write about. Just be honest about your appearance. Avoid glamour shots and give an honest assessment about your body. For instance, 5'4, 150# is not an athletic build.

I find a lot of men in my age range (49-60) have a very bad habit of putting on pics at least 10 years old, or saying they are 52 when they look (and probably are) 72 LOL. No doubt some women do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_sky View Post
    See, that's why I'm really wondering about online dating, because I get NOTHING. Every two weeks I might get a "hey wassup" from a guy outside my age range and match percent, but that is ALL. It really bums me out.
    What sites have you tried?

edit: Also, I've seen your pics when you posted them before... your appearance isn't the problem. I'd consider re-writing your profile.
    Last edited by HeartIsAching; 21-03-12 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added comment

I'm curious if anyone thinks it could be due to the same reasons the OP has difficulty meeting people in person.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    What sites have you tried?

edit: Also, I've seen your pics when you posted them before... your appearance isn't the problem. I'd consider re-writing your profile.
    OKcupid for a year, and Match for 6 months. Hmm, I guess I have no idea how to write my profile. I've read a lot of articles on "bad" profiles and mine doesn't seem to be violating any obvious rules...

Hmmm... OKCupid generated some good results for me. Never tried Match.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    eHarmony got a couple of my friends married. People are busy these days, a selective search seems reasonable. Actually, I like the idea b/c it forces ppl to think about what they want. LOL.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by alwaystryin View Post
    Lol I can hardly blame you. It's part response, part venting and part opinion seeking all mixed in with my own 2 cents on the matter. I'm feeling that based on the wording of the OP, a shift in attitude may prove much more productive as far as meeting someone. If you can get through the second to last paragraph that'll help sum it up.
    I enjoyed reading it!

How come your friend gets so awkward? I mean, what's up with her phone and all that? Why did she even bother to go out in the first place? lol

I noticed that some people have this massive social anxiety when they are out of their comfort zone. It's such a shame as time and life are just passing you by when you are too occupied and worried. Thing is though they can't snap out of it just like that. I am a homebody myself but when I go out, I absolutely enjoy watching people, talking to peope and laughing... And I love good laughs!

I see how frustraing it can be with your friend especially when you know that she is such an amazing person otherwise in every way.

As said, there are creeps in all walks of life, not just online dating. One thing I am wary of though is online persona can be totally diferent from real life feel. I prefer meeting in person shortly after we find each other interesting so there is no waste of time and emotions.

But meeting people in social gatherings are definitely more fun, imo.
    “Really, sex and laughter do go very well together, and I wondered - and I still do - which is more important.” - Hermione Gingold-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12