+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A gift for a girl

A gift for a girl

Hi,

Yesterday I had lunch and strolled around town with the girl I'm crazy about. It wasn't a date, it was just as friends. In one store, she saw a purse which she really liked. She decided not to buy it. Then I offered to buy it for her as a gift. She didn't want me to spend my money on her, so we didn't go back to the store.

I'm seeing her tomorrow. Would it be sweet to get the purse anyway and give it to her? Or is it too much? I think she was just tryin to be polite when she said no. If I would give her the purse, I don't want to make it into a huge gesture or anything.

I don't know if she likes me back. She does give me some signals, but at other times I think likes me as just a friend. We do get along very well. We smile and laugh. The lunch was her idea, so she likes to spend time with me, right? We started to get to know each other better about 3 months ago.

Thanks!

Livelaughlove17 Guest
    Well I'm a girl, and if a guy had done that for me, I would REALLY appreciate it! It shows that you really care about her and you acknowledge things she wants/likes. All a girl wants is to feel important and wanted, and by doing little things like that, you're giving her that feeling! Although I don't know this girl, I'm sure she would like that a lot. I would say go for it and see where that gets you.. It deffinately couldn't hurt! Good luck(:

I would say it definitely depends on the girl. It could be interpretted that you are trying to buy her affection. In which case, it would have the opposite effect of what you want. Some women are perfectly capable of buying whatever they want, and the reason for rejecting the purchase is because it doesn't fit their perceived style. If that is the case, it would be a major faux pas. Fashion items are particularly difficult to buy for women because some are very choosy. I had a girlfriend who wouldn't wear just any piece of jewelry. It had to be hand-made with spun gold. I had no idea there was such a thing. To tell you the truth, a relationship is in better shape if the woman is buying gifts for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dem862 View Post
    ....... To tell you the truth, a relationship is in better shape if the woman is buying gifts for you.
    LOL. I beg to differ!

I wouldn't like a random guy whom I met a couple of times buying me gifts unless I intend to see him regularly. It depends on guys - who these guys are to ME.
    “Really, sex and laughter do go very well together, and I wondered - and I still do - which is more important.” - Hermione Gingold-

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Livelaughlove17 View Post
    Well I'm a girl, and if a guy had done that for me, I would REALLY appreciate it! It shows that you really care about her and you acknowledge things she wants/likes. All a girl wants is to feel important and wanted, and by doing little things like that, you're giving her that feeling! Although I don't know this girl, I'm sure she would like that a lot. I would say go for it and see where that gets you.. It deffinately couldn't hurt! Good luck(:
    Yes, it could hurt. A lot.

You're not even dating this girl, and you're buying stuff for her? Take it a bit slower than that.

If she likes you, the purse could very well scare her off. She rejected your offer for a reason.

If she doesn't like you, it would be either incredibly awkward, or if she's not a good person, could end up badly for you long-term.

Ask her out on a real date. If you start dating, you have the PERFECT present for any birthday/holiday/random day that will make her unbelievably happy. A guy who gets her what she looked at two days ago is the norm. A guy who remembers that and gets it at the perfect time is the one she'll brag about to her friends for a long time.