+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Age Difference

Age Difference

Yes, it's happened, I find myself in a relationship - not to say I don't like the idea.

So, a little back history. I have been seeing this guy for a little over a month now and we get along rather well. We have similar interests and since I met him courtesy of my brother's girlfriend, we also have many of the same friends. He tends to compliment my personality rather well, as I tend to be serious and a little on the nervous side at times, whereas he's much more relaxed and generally solves problems and then returns back to a state of relaxation (something I do greatly envy). I absolutely adore his mother, his brother has much of the same easy-going attitude, and his sister-in-law is very nice as well. Although it is still quite early in the relationship, I do have to admit that I feel very comfortable around him - something I've rarely felt in life, especially in relationships.

All that into consideration, there is one thing I've felt might have me judged rather harshly. I had assumed he was much older than what he really is given the level of maturity to his actions and the conversations we've had. He tends to have his life mostly in order, and although he enjoys his spare time, he's not one to neglect something that needs his attention. So, he is younger than me. Given that at this point in the relationship (early as it may be) that we do get along and I am fairly comfortable, and his family is accepting of me as well, is it really worth worrying over? Am I just succumbing to the stereotype that men should always be older than the women they are with?

A little feedback would be helpful.

Thanks.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    While I have found it to be true that women mature faster than men which is why we look for older men in the first place, I don't feel it's a major issue in a relationship as long as you are compatible with another. If you make each other happy why add things like age that don't really matter into the equation? It sounds like you have a found a guy you really like and your already comfortable with him and his family. It doesn't sound to me like there should me any worry about the fact that he's younger than you, especially if you guys have the same expectations out of your future.
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Aeradalia! It's been a long time...

Half your age plus seven years... that should be the minimum age for a relationship (unless that makes him <18).

How old are both of you?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Hello Vashti. Yep, it's been a while... life tends to get rather interesting over time.

I'm 27, and I did the little math equation which would mean he'd have to be about 20 or so. Ironically, he is 20, although I didn't realize he was that young when I first met him. Neither does he appear that young. Luckily I look younger than my age, so most people generally assume we're in the same age group which certainly helps.

To put things in perspective though, my brother is 23, already served 3 tours in Iraq, has an apartment, a brand new truck, and is making his way through college. Most of my co-workers are in their early to mid-twenties and have started families. So, hopefully my feelings of inadequacy over the age difference are unwarranted.

Well, I'm off to work.

Take care.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen