+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Stage Fright!

Stage Fright!

Hi everyone. I was wondering what you think of this topic....

Stage fright has become kind of paralyzing for me. I can do presentations for school if I rehearse them really well, because then I'll feel confident about them
    But stage fright impacts other areas of my life. For example, I want to be a teacher because I'm passionate about the subject, but when I think of myself in front of the room teaching, I get afraid. I know that I can do it, but at the same time, I don't know how to get over the fear. It's also impacted my singing a lot, which I think has been the most frustrating thing for me. I tend to compare myself to others too much, and when I start to sing and play guitar in front of a crowd, my
    voice shakes and my hands tremble. I've recorded songs and put them on youtube and I know that I sing well, but I know that my live performances don't really
    showcase everything that I offer as a singer. I sometimes have trouble breathing; my chest tightens, and I get this airy voice because I'm so tensed up and I can't get a deep breath. My voice sounds so much different when I record in private.

I've done theater and I was cheerleader, so I know I can rise to the occasion, but this stage fright/ performance anxiety has seemed to get worse over the years and I don't know why. Even in social situations, I feel kind of awkward and nervous.

Does anyone know what causes this stage fright and how to stop it? It's really dissapointed me and it has really affected my confidence. I think it's turned into a cycle; I don't do well because of stage fright, it hurts my confidence, and therefore, I'm even less confident, which just causes more stage fright.

Thanks!
    Chica

Quite a few professional musicians have to take beta-blockers to perform in front of large audiences (so don't feel too self conscious about that). Most people are fine speaking with people about subject matter they know, when they're confident in their knowledge and abilities. I think you'll be fine as a teacher (eventually).

You're probably just getting rusty since your cheerleading and theater days are over. Don't put so much pressure on yourself in social situations, the average person is just that, average. Don't worry about impressing them, or being charming or witty. Just be yourself.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

my idea

In my own idea, to fight stage fright is to practice doing your habit socially, just mingle socially!

ask yourself: "what are you really afraid of ?"
    is it the way they look at you, um, is it that you could feel humiliated when you don't do something perfectly?
    why are you nervous or getting the stage fright happening.

Once you notice that they (the students, or the audience) are just listening to what you have to say, then it gets better.

also you have to have a real message to say, a powerful message. something you care about. practice speaking. Like if you believe in something strongly. Like : " we don't want to have any more wars" wars are very bad, think of the people that are living, and they could die! " That is wrong, we must be friends with each other, and not fight. we have to make a difference"
    once you have powerful things to say, (and you must feel strongly about them) THEN you become a good speaker.

Then you can become a good teacher. everyone will listen , cause they are just sitting and listening.

also ask them questions like: (whatever) " has anyone here have a parent or family member that has been affected by a war ? "
    they will raise their hands .
    if they don't raise their hands, ask " please raise your hand if you have a ..... (family memember affected , etc )

know your subject.
    you have to want to instill this information to them.
    you have to want to teach them or tell them.
    strong desire to inform them, to teach them.

once you have that, you will be on your way.

(for example):

barak obama really believes in helping the USA. he wants to fix the economy, he wants to see kids in school, and he wants people to have access to healthcare. he speaks from the heart, he wants this to be done, and he says it.

watch videos with people speaking, like barak obama or rosevelt or whatever. See their style ? they are not just talking,, they REALLY believe what they are saying ! if you look at those videos you will see what I mean.

and you have to really blast it. Loud. Even then, it may take repeating things several times for people to really get it, you have to drill that information down. I used to be shy, but now I can communicate in front of an audience. It's great to see them nodding their heads, or smiling or laughing depending on what you say. like if it's comedy they should smile and laugh from time to time.

practice at home, or with friends, learn a subject, and lecture to them. speak the information. learn a subject that interests you, and then teach it so someone else gets the full idea of what you are talking about.

read lots of books to develop a good vocabulary.

Face your fear, if you're being exposed to public a lot of times, you could probably overcome that fear.
    It may not sounds easy, I also have a stage fright. Not just a stage fright even one on one interview to big boss, I get frightened and doesn't know what to say anymore.

Gaining more knowledge will also boost your confidence to confront the public, this way you won't get criticize when someone raise question to you.

Face your fear GRADUALLY....to be able to overcome stage fright....If you directly expose yourself to large crowds over and over it wont make you feel better.

And always remind yourself....''Im going to do my best no matter what.....and say to yourself: whats the worse that could happen?

you should be beliver yourself and do what you thought