+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Nobody thinks we belong together, Will our marriage last or fail like people expect?

Nobody thinks we belong together, Will our marriage last or fail like people expect?

I am 26 and have been dating my partner for a little over a year, He is 35 and he is in a heavy metal band. I'll be honest and say that he is definitely not the typical guy that i have dated in the past. I am a touring dancer & have worked on many world tours, Im very girlie and love all things feminine, the same with all my friends. His friends are very edgy, opinionated and when i first met them i knew they were not going to accept me, They always call me Barbie. My friends love him but when the first met him he was intimating and made them nervous as we have never socialized with people like them before. I first met him at one of his bands shows, My bff & her boyfriend begged me to go as they wanted to set me up with their friend who i had no interest in, After the show when i was alone at the bar my partner came up to me and said he noticed me in the crowd as they were performing & that he couldn't take his eyes off me, Long story short we are now a year together. I have recently moved into his place and we seem to always be together, usually have a lot of sex, Honestly i have never had so much in my life, it can be so intense at one point i even blacked out. Last week when his friends were over i went to the bathroom and i overheard them telling him that they never see him anymore & that its like im taking him away from them, That im just trouble and possible using him etc. I was so angry and hurt but never told him that i had heard them saying it. I very rarely go with him on tour as i don't want to put myself in the position of having to deal with them. My friend told me the other day that we have too different of lifestyles to make this last & that its just a fase im going through, We have been talking about getting married and he keeps asking me to think about eloping. I understand that we don't always see eye to eye on things and that we don't always have the same interests but i love him so so much, He is the type of guy i never knew i could be so in love with and now im terrified everything people are saying will be true? Is it possible for complete opposites to be happily married?

You're happy right now, so enjoy being happy. You two have been together for over a year and you're still happy together, so I think it's safe to say that you're past the early infatuation stage and actually enjoying each other for who you are. It would be boring if you two were too much alike. That said, while it's not crucial that you share a lot of common interests, it is important that you share common values. Also, I read an interesting remark by a professional marriage counselor a while back. She said that if you are thinking about getting married, make a list of the five things that bother you the most about your potential spouse. Then accept that you will never be able to change those five things. If you can't accept that, you shouldn't get married to that guy. If you can't think of five things that bother you about your future husband, you don't know him well enough to get married yet.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Listen to Vincenzo. He makes good sense. Also, it's irrelevant what anyone else thinks about your relationships. YOU decide, nobody else.

Do what makes you happy.. You should talk about things, open up, tell him what you've heard, you need to be open about your feelings, how could your partner understand you if he doesn't know what you feel.. like you not going with him on his tours, tell him what you feel. It's about you and him.. so ignore his friends. you can't please everybody..

hope this helps.

Thanks for your post