+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Not getting any responses from online dating?

Not getting any responses from online dating?

Hey guys and girls, wondering if people can give me some pointers on creating an online dating profile? Currently I have a simple, no-BS profile, that outlines myself. i.e., hobbies, interests, work, education, etc. I don't go into the long paragraphs I see some people doing.

I'm wondering if I should be writing more, or write more interesting stuff as opposed to straight-up summary of myself?

Also I have 3 photos of myself as well. I don't think I'm that bad looking, and I have a solid educational background and career. Yet I'm getting essentially no responses from girls.

Help?

copy and past it here

copy and past it here. You dont get responses from girls....thats your job to pursue them

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Make sure your profile reflects YOU, and doesn't just read like a shopping list of things that make up who you are. That's boring. I know this is how men look at profiles, but women are trying to delve deep into your soul via the internet lol. You may need to write a little more and throw some of your personality into it.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

There are probably more men than women on the site (that tends to be true,) and any desirable woman on the site is probably being contacted and pursued by multiple men. You have to make the contact, and you have to stand out. Yes, your profile is important. If your initial contact piques her interest she will likely look at it, and you want her to think "this guy is interesting, I'd like to know more about him."

I was discussing online dating with a friend who is going through a divorce right now. He's never tried them, but was talking about going on eharmony, match etc. once his divorce is final. I told him that men who can write well have an advantage in the online dating age. Say something nice about her, maybe try a little humor (but nothing juvenile or prurient,) and use complete and coherent sentences. Most of the men writing to her come across as pigs. Give her something that makes you stand out as someone about whom she wants to know more (do not send a photo of your d***.)

I haven't used online dating sites in a few years, but I bet if I went on any of the legitimate ones tonight and contact 4 women, all of them would check out my profile and 2 of them would write back and start a conversation with me.

Be patient. I have used online dating sites before. Write your profile as if it were your friends writing it about you. Make sure you outline exactly what you are looking for without seeming close minded. Have a sense of humor about it. Mention something that will make you stand out from all the other guys.

Since I am on a roll on the subject of online dating, this one is for the women (it might apply to men, too, but I wasn't much into looking at profiles of other guys): take a moment to consider whether the photos you post really flatter you, and are they appropriate? Sure, you have 10 or 100 men pursuing you, and maybe you want him to look past appearances; but it's not hard to do, and you might improve the quality (maybe?) With a little attention to details like hair, clothing, location and lighting you can make yourself look much better.

A few other pet peeves on the same subject: don't post photos of your children on a dating site profile (at least restrict them if you can.) I understand, your children are your life, you want any man who thinks about contacting you to see that your kids come first. I'm a single (dating) dad with shared custody, my kids come first, too; I wouldn't put their pictures on a dating site. The other is photos with your friends. I'd rather not see you in a picture with another man, unless it's clearly your beloved father. If it's a photo with girlfriends, it is nice to know which one is you. At least make your primary photo just a good shot of you. Use the pics of you with girlfriends, male friends, and your kids (if you must) for the photos that can be seen after someone clicks into your profile.

As usual when I try to give advice to women, I should shut up now :-)

Thanks for your post