+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Parents getting a divorce and falling out in school!

Parents getting a divorce and falling out in school!

Okay, so my semester ended last week, had final projects to hand in, did my exams, and for one of my classes, I had some problems, to be honest I had too much stress in general, just personal stuff piling on.

And on top of that I couldn't get the program to work or something kept being wrong, and I kept being less and less in a mood to deal with it and I missed the deadline for submission, and kept saying I'll get it done... But never getting round to it.

Then my parents decided to tell me about their divorce which they were waiting for till after my exams but I still had this to submit and it got so hard to work around the house, all mom does is mope and whine and dad gets angry about everything and it made it even more impossible for me to work.

I told my friend who was trying to help me out, but couldn't get my project to load on her computer, that I wanted to tell the teacher that I just had program problems. She said he's understanding and that I should just tell him the truth about my parents divorce affecting things. Should I?

I really don't want him to feel like I'm using it as an excuse and that I want him to do something about it because I mentioned the divorce. Can I mention it but say something, like 'I know these aren't real grounds for an excuse, and that it might not be accepted... but is there anything I can do, any way I can get my grade to count?' or something?

I have been taking another class with the same teacher this semester, and all my work was on time, and good. So I hope that he'll be understanding and I've taken another class 2 years ago with him, so I think he should know that I am diligent, hard working, etc... Just stuff has really come up and it's been hard on me. And this was my last exam, so I can say it happened just before it and that's why it became hard for me to work on it.

I just feel that it's wrong somehow to tell him things so he'd work in my favor. But on the other hand, it is a valid excuse, I can't get anything done at home, mom wants help with moving her things out and everything's just a mess.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Of course you should tell your teacher. Divorce is one of the most stressful life events you will endure, and the fact that you still care about your grades is telling. The worst that will happen is that your teacher might not be sympathetic, and then you wouldn't be any worse off than you are now.

Sorry about the divorce. It sucks.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Yeah, I just need to find a way to word it so it doesn't sound like I'm using it as an excuse, like I'm just bullshitting to get my way out. But I will definitely mention it!

Just be honest with him. Hopefully he'll be compassionate, if not do the best you can.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest