+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Does it seem easier to hate ugly people?

Does it seem easier to hate ugly people?

As in most people are quicker to vilify ugly people?

I believe this to be the case. Although we hear a lot of people always bitching (out of jealousy) about good looking people, when it comes down to it, people will flock to people whom they think have power/influence over others. Good looks are of course a form of power as is physical strength, athleticism, money or a fancy title.

But, as mean as this may sound, I think it may also have to do with aesthetics. People are repulsed by physical ugliness, like it or not, so they already receive an ugly person with a somewhat negative attitude. So if the ugly person says or does something they don't like, even if it's minor, this effect will be magnified. Kind of like how we hate those ugly looking monsters in horror movies. If the person is good looking, however, we tend to be more forgiving. Since even if they do something wrong their being aesthetically pleasing 'soothes' the feelings of hostility toward them.

I could get on my high-horse and say that I treat everyone equal, but I recognise I sometimes react this way and try to minimise it as best I can. Of course I never consciously treat better looking people better - okay, I admit it, if I think I have any chance with an attractive female I might be inclined to be nicer than usual - but it's something I notice.

For instance, if a fat, ugly woman says something mean to you versus someone who is slightly attractive, you're often likely to call the first woman a 'fat ugly *****', instead of just 'a *****.'

You'll associate the negative qualities of her appearance with the negative way she treated you, doubly villifying her.
    Last edited by uri; 13-06-12 at 08:03 PM.

I think is only applicable with unfamiliar people. Once I get to know a person well, I can see past the surface appearance into whether they have an ugly personality. By that, I mean somebody who is cruel, selfish, bigoted, etc. I find it easier to hate ugly personalities. And even then, if I get to know somebody really well, I might be able to overlook their ugly personality and feel pity for the trauma that made them like that.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

I agree with Vincenzo. If I don't know the person, I silently have my own thoughts about them but of course always have an open mind and let them change my outlook once I get to know them. Sometimes I'm right right off the bat because I have a good intuition when it comes to people, and others completely surprise me. When it comes to men, however... looks for the most part truly don't define the guy until I get to know their personality. You can be incredibly handsome, or be below average, and I won't notice a thing until I get to know you.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think it's easier to prejudge ANY outlier, whether they be outrageously attractive, or outrageously ugly.

I'm staying away from the super-handsome men, though. They are trouble.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I will say that all of the female supervisors I've had, have definitely given me preferential treatment over peers who are just as talented. I've been able to get away with a lot in the office that other people won't try. I've also seen my male supervisors let hot women get away with whatever they want.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's easier to hate an ugly person, but as Vashti said, it's easy to judge one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I think it's easier to prejudge ANY outlier, whether they be outrageously attractive, or outrageously ugly.
    The problem is that beautiful men are judged positively by women while the ugly men like me are judged negatively and are being ignored by women.

I think it is very difficult or even outright impossible to attract the kind of women you want if you are ugly and also poor. Ugly AND poor is not exactly a good combination.
    Last edited by uri; 15-06-12 at 12:47 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by uri View Post
    The problem is that beautiful men are judged positively by women while the ugly men like me are judged negatively and are being ignored by women.
    Did you not read what I wrote in its entirety? I said I'm DONE with the super-handsome ones. They are too much work.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by uri View Post

I think it is very difficult or even outright impossible to attract the kind of women you want if you are ugly and also poor. Ugly AND poor is not exactly a good combination.
    load off shite.

im ugly and poor, and ive pumped some crackers. The problem with pretty people, is they generally have no personality and arnt very funny. Ugly people dont get their hole because they have no confidence and put pretty women on pedestals. A good way to overcome the nervousness of talking to a pretty woman is to imagine her taking a dump. try it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaninnocentma View Post
    A good way to overcome the nervousness of talking to a pretty woman is to imagine her taking a dump. try it.
    How romantic!

Society teaches us to use physical characteristics in our insults. I know I am guilty of it, but only when the person is an actual terrible person. Like my brothers mother-in-law is a terrible person. I've called her fat when the rest of the family is talking about the mean things she has done but I do it partly because she and her daughter judge others on their physical appearance. I find it funny that she is so overweight but she judges others for their weight or other stupid things. I know I'm wrong but she gets me so mad and disgusted. The other thing that came to mind is that women are very judgmental of each other. I know women around my age(20's) judge me more than older women. I can't stand women like that. Guys are more discreet about things like that. THey look at you and thats it. No, girls have to look you up and down and then give you this mean look. I'm not walking around looking trashy either. I also read a study that said they found women are more scared of what other women think and dress more to impress them. I think that's very true. I think a good looking woman might get more hate from other women, whereas a good looking man will get less hate from men and women. A man is not going to act like an ass to a good looking guy there on the spot, probably later they might make a comment out of jealousy. But a good looking woman will get treated nasty there on the spot by another woman and then later be gossiped about. It's pretty sad.

I think pretty much everyone treats the attractive better than the non-attractive .. even those on this board who say they don't.

That is just human nature. Yes, the attractive who are also rotten people will eventually get the cold shoulder, but it's rare to find a rotten, attractive person.

Because attractive people are treated better probably from the moment they are born then they often also learn to treat others better in kind.
    Last edited by uri; 16-06-12 at 08:07 AM.