+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to overcome depression?

I find it interesting to read all this 'advice'. To anyone who is clinically depressed, going out with friends, doing yoga, changing the routine etc etc can be nigh near impossible. I remember when I was depressed with small children..... I could barely take care of myself and the kids let alone going out and doing stuff. And when I did get out, it made me feel even worse. Like Nath, professional help was the only thing which made a difference.

Yes, much of this advice will all help with someone who's feeling a bit down or sad. But there's a huge difference between feeling a bit low and clinical depression.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

A nice, cute or hot girl can patch depression right up!
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Best advise I can give you is to try to occupy your time as much as possible. The less free time you have the better you will feel.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I find it interesting to read all this 'advice'. To anyone who is clinically depressed, going out with friends, doing yoga, changing the routine etc etc can be nigh near impossible. I remember when I was depressed with small children..... I could barely take care of myself and the kids let alone going out and doing stuff. And when I did get out, it made me feel even worse. Like Nath, professional help was the only thing which made a difference.

Yes, much of this advice will all help with someone who's feeling a bit down or sad. But there's a huge difference between feeling a bit low and clinical depression.
    This a hundred times. If you are clinically depressed many of the things mentioned in this thread (like a cute girl) won't help. My personal advice from experience is not to analyze yourself on the inside, but rather encourage a "just do it" mentality. Don't try and analyze yourself in the sense of thinking why you are depressed, what you have to live for, or even why you should try not to be depressed. Those are all processes that will likely just lock you inside even more. Just try and change your attitude, try and be someone else (like James Bond ). Look in a mirror for 5 minutes and pump yourself up. Try to get your spirits up, even if only slightly and fleetingly. This won't cure clinical depression, but it might give you spurts of energy and motivation which might be enough for you to seek help/prevent self damaging actions/etc. Otherwise this technique is helpful because it directs your mental energies outward, you realize that you CAN succeed, that you CAN do X or Y. And unlike the person that becomes deeper and deeper entrenched in their own self-misery, the person trying to change their attitude is more likely to succeed

Source:
    Ex-drug addict
    Last edited by captainkolak; 03-04-13 at 09:52 AM.

Don't care that what is happening.let them go with there own way ...

thanx for sharing

I got over depression by always knowing the grass is greener on the other side. I started working out more, slowly began to love myself and found myself eating better food.

Depression is one of the most common diseases its important for us to deal with it in the right way,Because being mentally well is the thing.
    People who keep themselves mentally fresh they can perform their actions even batter as compare to person who is suffering from it.

meh.. mental illness doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    depression is hell. for me it ranges from paranoia to feeling lost and in the dark to an absence of emotions
    And? Life is tough.

Besides, maybe it's karma. I see your posts on here, and it's rich somebody who suffers is to curt to others lol...

Quote Originally Posted by sallyjoseph View Post
    Yoga is a good way to reduce depression. Avoid those things which makes you depress, think less and always think positive. If you are experiencing a brief episode of depression, time might be sufficient to overcome it. If you are experiencing longer lasting depression, you might need counseling or medication. There are different types of therapy and medication.
    Medication? Yeah, psychiatrists who push religion onto patients?

lalalita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namismybabe View Post
    Medication? Yeah, psychiatrists who push religion onto patients?
    LOL.

A lot of my colleges are open Atheists. There is a legal separation between church and state.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post

lol.. so if you're so confident, why be depressed? lol..

Quote Originally Posted by lalalita View Post
    LOL.

A lot of my colleges are open Atheists. There is a legal separation between church and state.
    Really? You're all corrupted and seek to control society. get with it.

Quote Originally Posted by captainkolak View Post
    This a hundred times. If you are clinically depressed many of the things mentioned in this thread (like a cute girl) won't help. My personal advice from experience is not to analyze yourself on the inside, but rather encourage a "just do it" mentality. Don't try and analyze yourself in the sense of thinking why you are depressed, what you have to live for, or even why you should try not to be depressed. Those are all processes that will likely just lock you inside even more. Just try and change your attitude, try and be someone else (like James Bond ). Look in a mirror for 5 minutes and pump yourself up. Try to get your spirits up, even if only slightly and fleetingly. This won't cure clinical depression, but it might give you spurts of energy and motivation which might be enough for you to seek help/prevent self damaging actions/etc. Otherwise this technique is helpful because it directs your mental energies outward, you realize that you CAN succeed, that you CAN do X or Y. And unlike the person that becomes deeper and deeper entrenched in their own self-misery, the person trying to change their attitude is more likely to succeed

Source:
    Ex-drug addict
    lol.. drug addict? lol.. LOSER!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast