+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Introvert Extrovert Relationships?

Introvert Extrovert Relationships?

Well, my boyfriend and I called it quits officially about a week ago. Not because we had any relationship problems, but because he's moving to stay with some other relatives who live in Canada to deal with some personal issues of his own, and it's likely permanent. Neither of us believed any long distance thing could last that amount of time, so we parted and are still good friends.

That being said, there's this guy now. He hangs out with my brother a lot so he's over our house now a lot, even sleeps over sometimes.

Well, without gushing over the details I'll just say he kinda asked me to a movie with him annd I said I'd go. I've heard from both his friends and mutual friends we have that he's interested in me and, needless to say, I really like him too.

The thing is...I don't even know how to talk to and interact with him unless we're in a group. He's very loud, talkative, parties a lot, is always joking around and playing pranks on people, spontaneous...you know the type. And I really admire that - if I had a nickel for every time I wished I were more outgoing like him, I might be rich. But I'm not. I don't know if he knows that because I tend to get a bit louder when I'm with other people who are being loud, but otherwise I'm really quiet and reserved. And honestly, I might be considered a bit weird by people like him. For example, me and my old boyfriend used to really enjoy ghost hunting. Together we've collected a bunch of equipment for it and, on a few occasions, think we've caught a few. Not to mention all the time I dedicate to hobbies I don't think he'd be very impressed with (for example, I love making puzzle boxes).
    Well, I don't think the new guy is into stuff like that. And as far as I know, we don't have a lot in common...for example, he's obsessed with German black metal bands. I used to like black metal a few years ago so I knew enough to act like I loved it too when he asked me, but honestly, I don't listen to it that much anymore. Yes I know it was wrong to lie, but I didn't want him to stop talking to me!

Basically, I'm afraid of being either too boring or too strange for him. And if I just try to act like him, I'm afraid I'll be too fake, which is equally bad if not worse.

I really like this guy, but we're on opposite ends of the personality scale

So yeah...if you're in one or have seen one, how do you think introvert/extrovert relationships work out?

As Shakespeare said, "to thine own self be true." You gotta be yourself, because who else would you be? And don't pretend that you are somebody else just so that somebody will like you. Either you will be trapped in that role or he will find out that you are faking it, and either situation is bad.

There is nothing wrong with being an introvert. More people are extroverts, but that doesn't make introverts bad people, just introverts.

Opposites often attract. He might like you more if he discovers that you are an introvert. In the long run, opposites don't necessarily get along, but you won't be able to find out if you two work together if you are faking that you are an extrovert. Just be yourself, and if this potential relationship doesn't work out, then you will eventually meet somebody that is a better match.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.