+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need something special

Need something special

First post here, basically need advice/ideas.

My girlfriend and I have been together for 4 years. She was 16 and I was 18 when we first began dating. Fast forward 4 years, we are happy, never broken up, never had any significant 'fight'. The situation is that she is moving to the US for a year on exchange to study (I live in Australia). She says she needs some time to sort herself out, be an individual and learn to be alone. She hasnt had this opportunity, based on the fact of our age when we began dating. I understand the situation, it sucks, but hey, hopefully it will all be ok in the end.

I come to you people because I need ideas on something special I can do for her and/or buy for her before she leaves. I am all out of ideas. I have bought her many things in the past and I feel like there is nothing I can buy that will have the sentimental meaning that I desire. I will write her something, but I feel I need a gift or experience also.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to responses!

Buy her a promise ring.

The last time someone said "I need to sort myself out", it was during a breakup. Are you sure she wants to do long-distance?

As for a gift, buy yourself a round-trip flight on a school holiday so that you can come to the US to visit.

Ya I didn't really want to say that but and ending is pending.

Quote Originally Posted by shupe View Post
    She says she needs some time to sort herself out, be an individual and learn to be alone.
    Maybe I'm not understanding, but this is break-up speak right here. It is a really nice way of saying "Hey, I'm moving and want to enjoy the single life, but it has been a great 4 years, have some parting sex and if you're still here when I get back, maybe we'll go for it again.".
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Yep, she wants to be shagging other guys. If you want to buy her something how about a pack of condoms so she doesn't end up pregnant.

Let me translate this for you: "need to sort myself out" means "would like to be free to explore other guys"
    "be an individual and learn to be alone" means "need to be alone so I can explore other guys"

Let me know if there is anything else she said you need me to translate for you

Yes, we are breaking for the period she is in the US. So thanks for translating what I already know. I said we have a great relationship, we talk about things all the time. So there are no hidden messages in her words. We have known she has been going for 6 months, and are still happy. What we do in the 12 months is each others business, so I am not concerned. This 12 months is needed as we are pretty serious about each other.

I came here for ideas on something I can do for her, not really for advice on my situation. But thank you for the responses so far.

Go with my first post, a promise ring. If it's pretty enough she will wear it and everytime she looks at it she will think of you.

I didn't mean to rub it in when I said I'll translate it for you, it just bugs me that you are being had.

Don't be foolish by ignoring this and pretending everything will be the same. You need to be preparing yourself for what you will be doing without her and accept that this might be the end. If she really cared about you or the relationship she would not be sacrificing it for a job. This all is very indicative of where one's priorities are. Is her priority a relationship with you or is it her job/opportunity. There is no such thing as they are the same, one always will have priority over the other. And people who view a relationship as an accessory to their life, will never have a real one.
    Last edited by toknow; 07-07-12 at 04:34 AM.

Write her a long meaningful letter.
    Give her a promise ring is nice too. Or even a really nice necklace or bracelet.

My bf gave me a promise ring after being together for a year and half. I wear it everyday and I love it.

I have spent quite a bit of money on a ring for her whilst we were in Africa over the summer.

And she is not leaving for a job - we are both studying. I obviously do not want her to go, but I have accepted what is happening. I do believe we will resume our relationship upon her return. She is giving me her car whilst she is away and we have plans to move to Sydney once I graduate with honours next year. Im fairly optimistic, but obviously 12 months is a long time and anything can happen, so i'm not being blinded either.

[QUOTE=Saya;815420]Write her a long meaningful letter.
    Give her a promise ring is nice too. Or even a really nice necklace or bracelet.
    QUOTE]

The plan is a letter. And I guess just some form of token jewellery :/

Unless there were only one school in the world and it were in the US, and even then she has no excuse to gamble with the relationship. Obviously this relationship is an addition to her collection of accessories. Sorry to say, this is not a stable one.

[QUOTE=shupe;815503]
    Quote Originally Posted by Saya View Post
    Write her a long meaningful letter.
    QUOTE]

The plan is a letter. And I guess just some form of token jewellery :/

Perhaps she has something she really want? Maybe you could get her that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast