+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Broken up with out of the blue and cannot figure out why!! please help

Broken up with out of the blue and cannot figure out why!! please help

I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half, we were the perfect couple, everyone said we would get engaged soon and they were so happy for us.
    He came to my house this weekend and was a bit off but busy doing his own art which is important to him but when he left we had a chat and i said i don't like only seeing you at weekends it horrible and i miss you. he lives about an hour away by train. i said there may be an option to live together so weekends were not so precious and he could still do his work but we could always have night time together. he had to think about it. the next day he said to me he has thought and we just are not working, he has been having doubts for a while now but just hopes they were going to go away in time but when he really thought about living with me he knew he didnt want to.
    I am so confused and heart broken i can't eat or anything i just feel dead. he was my penguin and i dont know what to do now. we were planning to live together next year and move away and get a small holding for our ducks but he is suddenly set on not being in a relationship.
    i cant get my head around it and i just don't know what i can do to make this better, i want him to text and say he was stupid and ofcourse he wants to be with me but i just don't know. he kept saying how amazing i am and how im not the kind of girl some one just throws away but he has,
    please help me understand.

When relationships start, they go through a honeymoon stage. Everything is wonderful, you talk about the furture, marriage, naming your kids...BUT that is just infacuation talking and it never be taken as a promise. This stage lasts anywhere from 6 months to about a year and a half. When the love fog finally lifts you see how you actually feel about that person. You can realize you are not feeling it and I believe this is what has happened to him. It's someting that happens naturally, and it cannot be controlled. He can't help it. He being honest with all what he said about how wonderful you are, he is also being honest that his feelings have changed. Though tough as it was to break up, he knew he had to do to be fair to you. When confronted with the next step in commitment, it can get a person asking themselves "Do I see myself married to this person for the rest of my life?" He's just not ready for that, and doesn't know if he ever will be.
    I guess that was the point he knew he had to tell you how he felt. I'm so sorry this has flattened you, maybe someday you will look back and understand. I wish you only the best and a speedy recovery from your broken heart.

Wow, that's really rough, for both of you it seems. As was mentioned above the honeymoon phase can slowly wear off, and often the hardest breakups to accept are the ones where the relationship didnt end in flames. It sounds like you two drifted as the initial dating phase began to wind down.