+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Sending texts every day?

Sending texts every day?

How do you feel about receiving daily texts from a guy you recently met? Does the fact that he texts you daily seem clingy or attractive?

I ask because I'm trying the whole online dating thing. I talked to this guy online for about a week and he asked for my number so he could call me sometime. He seemed decent and like there might be something there so I gave it to him. For the past week and a half, he has been texting me daily. He'll text me "Hey, what's up?" or "How's it going?" He'll also send me random facts like "I'm having this delicious sandwich right now."

The thing is that I hate texting. I don't believe that texting is the ideal way to get to know someone. Also, it's annoying to me to be strapped to a phone for hours having conversations of no substance: "oh, you like turkey? me, too." It's not like I can type narratives about my life to him via text when he asks me to tell him about myself as a child. I told him that I don't like texting and would rather, like he suggested, have a phone conversation. Still he texts me. What makes it worse is that it is every day.

So, to me, daily texts seem clingy and like he's trying to suffocate me. Do any of you ladies feel the same way? Am I being weird for being turned off by the daily texts?

Texting doesn't work for everyone. Sounds like he's trying to let you know he's still there but I agree, texting is not the way to communicate. If face to face isn't possible I prefer MSN or something similar - it's a way of having a more fluid conversation.

I think hes just fishing for comments (attention) from you without him having to do any work. I dont text for the very reasons you give....i dont want to seem like a pussy. Just ignore him at this point
    Last edited by surfhb; 20-07-12 at 12:31 PM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Have you met him in person? If not, tell him you have decided to not text with him anymore until he meets you face-to-face.

Or just tell him he is annoying you with so many text messages, and you've decided not to date him.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

if your interested in him but dont want to run him off yet possibly tell him you do not have an unlimited text plan so you try and keep it simple. Just an idea, if you ignore him for 4-5 days he will get the msg you dont want to talk.

Just be honest...tell him all the texting isn't your thing and list all the reasons you listed above....

I'm someone who really doesn't mind texting, so as long as I like the guy, I wouldn't mind too much (unless he started, like, sending multiple texts in a row without me replying, or something clingy like that.) Texting just allows you to be in constant communication in a way, which is probably what he likes about it. He wants someone to share his random daily thoughts with, but yeah I can see why it's kinda weird seeing as you two don't know each other.

You should probably respond to his texts less so as not to encourage them, but don't stop altogether. Instead ask him when he has some free time to talk, and give him a call when he does. Eventually he should get that you prefer to communicate through phone and hopefully won't mind conforming to that method with you. It's a pretty small compromise, so if he doesn't, maybe he's not that ideal haha.

say you work cant text at work give a time he can or somthing. own up and speak your mind, you cant figure sum1 knows your likes and dislikes if you dont tell them. goddamn!

To text, or not to text. There is no right or wrong with this one - it comes down to how the individual feels about it, which in your case, is annoyed! In some ways texting is a cop out, but it can be a useful way of keeping in touch when talking would be impossible. But since it annoys you, as others have said, tell him straight that you can't/won't text, but are happy to meet up in person if he really wants to get to know you properly. Either he will take the hint and call you to arrange a date, or he'll disappear off to text some other woman. Sorted.

Be honest and say you don't like texting, if he still doesn't stop then, better leave.