+ Follow This Topic

Thread: thinking about calling it quits- but am I making the right call?

thinking about calling it quits- but am I making the right call?

Hey Im new here and I don't want to ring up one of my friends for advice. I dont have that many friends and I just don't like to feel judged by the ones I do have.
    Any way, I've been dating a guy since the end of March and everything was really good. He was training to be an officer as well as working part time at his other job as a fire fighter. He said if it didnt work out for him as a cop he can always go back to being a fire fighter. We both live with our parents because right now, money is tight and jobs dont pay as well as they used to. Also I graduated recently so it's harder for me to find a full-time job (I am working part-time right now).
    He quit his job as a cop last week because he said he loathe the job. Did not like the work and dealing with people's petty issues. So his training officer told him to go home and think about his decision if he wanted to stay or not. He said that same night his lieutenant called him and told him to turn in his things (not giving him a chance to make his decision) so that really bummed him out because it was like he got fired even tho technically he didn't get fire. I wonder if that makes any sense.
    I knew he was going to quit because he told me a couple of times towards the end of july that he was going to. Said the job makes him have a bad attitude and he is moody because of the job. I did see that change but then again, I didnt know him before March so I don't know if moody is just part of who he is.
    Thing is starting in mid July, thats when I feel things between us havent been the same. He has given me the impression that it was his job as a cop but its been a whole week not working as a cop (and back to his old job as a fire fighter) and he still seems the same.
    I know he is not seeing any one else- he does text me when I text him and has conversations with me. He's just distant, seem not as enthusiastic or funny as he used to be, and I feel like I am the one that's putting myself out there for us to get together or just putting an effort in to making things light and fun. However am I jumping the ship too fast?
    Let's be clear too, we are not bf-gf and it's five months tomorrow.... I don't want to invest if this guy doesn't show the same interest yet I don't want to make a decision that may seem selfish.
    Thanks for reading and feedback

also i should add that i was on vacation out of town for 3 days and he never text me or called me to ask how was my trip going. I had to text him.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If after 5 months you just aren't feeling it anymore, then cut him loose. It's not going to be any better over time.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

This site is intended to give you advice assuming you've already discussed all this with him. Ask him what you're asking us first

yes i discussed this with him just an hr ago. In a nutshell, every time I express my concerns, he kind of throws me off guard.
    he did bring up some valid points during his explanation and he highlighted how I was wishy-washy.... and forgetful.... and presumptive the past few weeks.... that I am making an excuse not to date because I am not interested in him any more.
    I ended up telling him I'm sorry he thought this and that way but he just said that I need to stop assuming because he does like me enough to try. He may not try as much as I would like him to but he says that it's not somthing I can't adjust to. So I guess I have to adjust because he doesn't like to 'bug' people on their vacation. He told me that he would give me a day to think about it and decide if I wanted to still date him. He says it's up to ME and sounds to be rightfully tired of me.
    I feel bad because he is right about a lot of things... yet I am confused that he still wants to date me. Wouldnt a guy who just told me that I am a challenge NOT want to date me?