+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Attraction towards past lover

Attraction towards past lover

Im in a bit of a jam at the moment. I have been dating my current girlfriend for the past 9 months, and things have been good, but just as every relationship, we go through our ups and downs. Recently, I just got in contact with a past girl who I was head over heels with. We both had mutual feelings about each other about a year and a half ago,
    however, she had a boyfriend at the time, and i was not the type to try and steal her away from him, so we drifted apart. Since then, i do still think about her because she
    would be an ideal girl for me, and i know my family would be happy for me. With my current gf, I have already posted about this, but they don't feel as welcoming towards my current gf for reason i perviously stated. I have talked to my parents and they made it apparent to me that its my life and my decision, but it will be hard for them to
    accept her into my family, which is an important part of my life. I don't know what to do. Should i just tell this other girl that we should just be friend for the time being, and if you find someone else then do it? Or should I pursue her, and end my current relationship as I don't know what the future holds for it? I need some help as i am lost as to what to do. Thanks for everyones help.

Danny

Whatever you decide, don't let what your family thinks of these girls affect your choice. If you're going to break up with your current girlfriend, do it because you want to and not because you think your family would prefer the other girl.
    "... Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

I do understand that I will probably follow those guidelines, but I'm middle eastern, and my family plays a HUGE role in my life. So its difficult to make a decision without them in mind.

Hmmm, I understand that makes this trickier, but you're a grown man now. I think you should do what is in your heart, because if you don't and act in a way just to please your family you will inevitably resent them for it (it's unavoidable human nature, you will know they would be directly to blame for breaking up your relationship.) In my eyes this is not the way to respect your parents - resentment and pandering to their whims is not respect. You could even tell them as such, I'm sure they'll understand and will be more civil once they know that they can't influence your heart.
    "... Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"