+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Moving forward at different rates

Moving forward at different rates

I've been together with my girlfriend for 8 months now and we met in college. We're both 20 years old and have had an awesome time together, but there's something that I've been worrying about almost since the beginning of our relationship. We're studying the same thing, I passed all my exams, she failed most. I tried to help her, but there are some things that she needs to do on her own or else she won't make ends meet. She's an expert procrastinator and although she managed to do well enough to get to this point in life, her other abilities can no longer suffice.

She's now trying to pass enough exams so she doesn't fail her year, but I doubt she'll make it. On one hand, her mother told me she would transfer her to a university in her hometown if things wouldn't improve, on the other, my girlfriend told me she'd stay no matter what and if her inability to take a loss wouldn't be enough to motivate her, she'd try something else or get a job. Now, at my suggestion of some other educational path, she accused me of doubting her and that if I thought she was stupid, I should at least tell her directly. I'm just being realistic and trying to help her and I even understand her aggressive behavior and paranoia because she's under extreme stress and she fears losing me.

I'm debating whether I should stay with her no matter what or pursue something with a girl I might actually have a future with. Either way, I'm not going to do anything dramatic right now, but wait another month or two for things to cool down.
    I'm currently at home and I'll start my second year in about a month. Since I've been here, I've met someone with whom I might have a chance at a healthier relationship and she's studying in the same city I am, but I'm not sure if it's right to leave my girlfriend behind especially considering how much she cares for me. Sometimes, I just get tired of being worried.
    Last edited by tehwarlock; 28-08-12 at 03:42 AM.

If you're not happy, give the new girl a shot. You're young and 8 months isn't that long of a time. Break it off respectfully and try something new.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you are unhappy in your relationship, break up. But her university courses are a separate issue (or should be). She should be pursuing studies b/c she loves the subject and it will help make her a productive member of society. If she's doing the same as you (perhaps?) only b/c you are, then maybe you want to encourage her to do something else?

Name:  potentialdemotivator.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  56.1 KB
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Nice touch with the demotivator. I guess it's all up to how I'm feeling about this whole situation and how much I care about this other girl.

Update: Being very temperamental, she broke up with me after I couldn't be there to comfort her as I had responsibilities at home. She managed to pass, but we didn't talk much for about a week after school started and it continued with me downright ignoring her completely for a while. Last week, I brought her flowers and told her I missed her, there hadn't been a day I didn't think think about her and that I'd like us to speak again and take things slowly. She started crying and said she never meant things to turn out this way and that she'll overcome it. This is good because being in conflict with a person you see a few times a week in class can be very distracting and tiring.
    The very next day, I watched a movie with that other girl and we ended up making out and me spending the night at her place. I really like her, but I'm still wondering whether or not fixing my previous relationship could work out because of the beautiful memories I have with my ex. Please tell me I have a responsibility toward another girl and that it's better for me to have naturally left a relationship with a person that has a toxic personality.
    Last edited by tehwarlock; 16-10-12 at 09:13 PM.