+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On a road trip and the sexual tension is driving me crazy!

On a road trip and the sexual tension is driving me crazy!

I suppose I just need some outside perspective on this "unique" situation...

I'm 25 and currently on a cross-country road trip with a guy, 27, who I've known about but never met until about 2 weeks ago.
    Backstory: he's the best man and I'm the maid of honour in our significant best friends' wedding. The wedding is out of the country and since we live near each other, we (with the bride and groom's advice) decided to drive to the destination together so as not to have to go alone. I admit, this was a big leap of faith on my part. I almost didn't do it, but my best friend convinced me that he's a really great guy and I would be safe in his company. So far, so good!
    Since this is the first time either of us has gone on a cross country road trip, we decided it would be fun to stop off in certain destinations and do some touristy things on our way there.

At any rate, we are about 2/3's of the way to our destination and I'm having a hard time keeping my mind out of the gutter! lol
    He's a super sweet guy, been a total gentleman with me, we get along really well and when we talk (which is all day since we're constantly together), I feel like I've known him for years. He has a great sense of humour... we can laugh and joke about almost anything. And... he's smoking hot. If I could describe my ideal guy in the looks department, he would be it. I find myself daydreaming about the stuff I'd do to him if I could...
    Bottom line is: I like him. A lot.

But...

How do I know if he feels the same way about me?
    I don't. We haven't been blatantly flirting with each other or anything, but I've picked up a few body language cues that hint that he *might*. I've also caught him looking at me and smiling. Neither of us has made a move on the other though.

How do I know that if something DID happen between us, it wouldn't be awkward afterwards?
    Again, I don't. We still have a wedding rehearsal and wedding to get through after. We get along so well now, I hate the thought of putting that in jeopardy. I'm also afraid of getting hurt: of putting myself out there and ending up with a one-night stand situation, then kicking myself for it after (I'm not looking for a random hookup).

But what if we got together and it ended up being amazing? We live in the same city (actually live about 10 blocks away from each other!) and could potentially keep seeing each other once we got home...

Argh, I'm overthinking this, I know. My head is telling me to stop acting like a lovesick teen and be sensible: I barely know the guy.
    But my heart tells me otherwise. Spending every waking moment with him for the past 2 weeks, he's not exactly a stranger either. He joked that I now know things about him that even his closest friends don't know.

I've called my best friend and confessed my feelings for him to her and she thinks I should go for it. Ha, easier said than done! She thinks we'd be compatible and according to her hubby-to-be, he's not the player type.

As much as I'd love to see where this could go, I'm too chicken to do anything about it.

So my question is: what would you do? Am I being too cautious? Not cautious enough?

Guys: your thoughts? I'd love to hear what the other sex thinks about this admittedly ridiculous situation

Thanks!

From a guys perspective he likes you. Ask him if he wants a BJ while driving....life's a gamble

Har har, thanks for that. Like I said, not interested in just hooking up.

Wait for the wedding and after dinner when the alcohol starts to flow, things will start to happen....have a good time....possibly in a year or so you two will be having a wedding of your own.

Just play it cool....ask him now if you guys can hang out after the wedding. Pretty cool way to start a relationship if you ask me.

Are you guys driving home together too? Are you sharing hotel rooms along the way right now? If yes, then wait until after the wedding on the way home...or like Smakie said that night after the wedding ceremony after you have a couple drinks. But, I think after you are headed home would be best. No harm in making the excitment last and letting the tension build! Sounds very romantic and also pretty cool that he lives close to you back home.

Maple1714
    Are you guys driving home together too? Are you sharing hotel rooms along the way right now?
    We haven't discussed the going home part yet (we may fly back instead of drive) but yes, we are sharing hotel rooms on the trip (2 double beds).

That must be hard to not jump into his bed! Lol. Don't do it though. I have had a few friends who met at weddings and hooked up that weekend and are happily together either married or have kids now. Great way to meet someone I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple1714 View Post
    That must be hard to not jump into his bed! Lol.
    Omigod, you have no idea!....
    I want to, more than anything. But I know I can't. Self restraint really sucks sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethesun View Post
    Self restraint really sucks sometimes!
    Then go to bed with the guy. Why not? Worried about spoiling something? If you're going to have a relationship then going to bed and seeing if you're sexually compaitble is part of the deal anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Then go to bed with the guy. Why not? Worried about spoiling something? If you're going to have a relationship then going to bed and seeing if you're sexually compaitble is part of the deal anyway.
    This is why I loved sociology in school. We deprive ourselves to satisfy some other something something Not to say you should do it but its interesting why you wouldnt if the sexual tension is so off the charts. He hasnt made any move?
    Last edited by surfhb; 28-08-12 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple1714 View Post
    or like Smakie said that night after the wedding ceremony after you have a couple drinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    Wait for the wedding and after dinner when the alcohol starts to flow, things will start to happen....
    What is it with the alcohol? It'd be a huge turn off for someone that I was interested in to have to wait until they've had a couple of drinks for things to start to happen between us. Nothing worse than drunk affection
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethesun View Post
    Omigod, you have no idea!....I want to, more than anything.
    So just be yourself. Waiting isn't going to change anything. Go with the moment, you know, the if the stars are aligned kind of thing.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

Quote Originally Posted by haxan View Post
    What is it with the alcohol? It'd be a huge turn off for someone that I was interested in to have to wait until they've had a couple of drinks for things to start to happen between us. Nothing worse than drunk affection
    I went to a Mormon Halloween party one time that had no alcohol....I wanted to shoot myself.

When I smile at a woman like you describe he does, I am definately into that woman. And yes you are way overthinking this. You like him, obviously, so why would you NOT want to try getting together with him?

How rare is it that you meet someone that you like so much from the beginning, with whom you can talk about anything? I was lucky to experience what you describe one time in my life so far and it was the best relationship I have ever had and it was worth every second spending with her.

As much as I'd love to see where this could go, I'm too chicken to do anything about it.
    Are you doing this in all parts of your life? Overthinking and then be too chicken to do anything?

Just do it, you only live once and there is nothing worse than looking back and asking yourself "Why didnt I just do it?!" Believe me, you will regret not doing something. (I know, easier said than done ;))

Go for it.You have got nothing to loose.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast