+ Follow This Topic

Thread: "Study Date"

"Study Date"

So I'll just give you a little bit of context There's this girl I've been hanging out with a lot lately and we really like each other. I asked her out once, like on a real date, but she said that although she really, really wants to she's been seeing a psychologist and having some problems and didn't want to commit to anything until she was sorted out because she didn't want to hurt me. Fair enough, but we keep hanging out - getting coffee together and stuff like that, and I figure I'll just keep being there until she's ready. Anyway, we're both in highschool and this week I went to her house after school quickly so she could give me some handouts for a class. We went out and got a slurpee from the local 7/11 first just to chat, but she had a psych appointment so we only had half an hour. Later that day she sent me a text saying, "Hey, study date Saturday 1pm, be there and bring your business/modern/english stuff for me to steal ".

So what the hell is a "study date" aha? Is that actually a thing, or should I just not think about it?

I wouldn't build your hopes up. She's already blown you off once when you asked her on a 'real' date. And if she's seeing a psychologist perhaps you need to know why? Most young people seem to manage without seeing the loony doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    I wouldn't build your hopes up. She's already blown you off once when you asked her on a 'real' date. And if she's seeing a psychologist perhaps you need to know why? Most young people seem to manage without seeing the loony doctor.
    Oh don't worry, I know all about why. Just didn't want to go into too many details in this because it's a whole different story. I don't really have my "hopes up" per se, I'm just curious - haven't really heard the term before.

Quote Originally Posted by dantcg View Post
    So what the hell is a "study date" aha? Is that actually a thing
    Yeah, it's actually a thing. It probably means different things to different people. Though, to me, a study date means that we'll have our noses in the books for most of the time, actually studying. But, you know, afterwards you can do whatever you want. That's a perfect time to say, "Wow, I could really use a drink/coffee after that. Want to come?" Easy as heck.

But why are you still hanging around this girl who rejected you? I mean, if she's really great and awesome and stuff, then it would be fun to be around her, but you seem like you're only being her friend because "I'll just keep being there until she's ready." That's kind of a dishonest friendship on your part. "I'm only taking on the role of her friend because this will get me closer to where I want to go with her."

Do you think that's accurate?

Study date = help me with my homework and then you might get a feel?

Edit: Maybe I should be a little nicer.

Shut up, Boisdevie.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't think of study dates as having any romantic connotation. It's just a time to get together and study.

Girls who see psychologists are still capable of falling for boys. I think she just isn't interested in dating you, even if she likes you well enough to study together. Sorry, sweety.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Study date = help me with my homework and then you might get a feel?
    That's my idea of a study date.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.