+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Remarrying an Ex

Remarrying an Ex

I'm in a situation where this is a possibility and would like to hear if others have gone through this or know of someone who has. Please share a story of a divorced couple remarrying each other. How long were they originally married, divorced, and how long back together. Were there relationships in between, marriages in between? There are decisions to be made and it would help to hear others who have gone through it.

Moved to 'Marriage forum'
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

There is a reason she's an 'ex'.

Remember the reasons!

Also, don't rush into the marriage, be a couple for a few years, see how things work out.
    "Never make someone your priority, when to them you are only an option"

Quote Originally Posted by steviej View Post
    There is a reason she's an 'ex'.
    Remember the reasons! Also, don't rush into the marriage, be a couple for a few years, see how things work out.
    Have you gone through it Steve? (looking for constructive feedback and experiences, less so the standard "an ex is an ex for a reason" as it's not very substantive)

Have you examined the reasons why she's an ex? Has anything substantially changed? If so, how? Have you been attending marriage counseling? Are you considering it?

There isn't an ex I'd EVER consider re-marrying. They're exes for a reason. Some were better than others. One could be on fire and I wouldn't piss on her to put her out.

Quote Originally Posted by tufa4311 View Post
    Have you gone through it Steve? (looking for constructive feedback and experiences, less so the standard "an ex is an ex for a reason" as it's not very substantive)
    No i haven't, closest i came was going back out with an ex after being apart for 12 months. It lasted another 8 months...

Approach with caution, how long have you been together this time round?
    "Never make someone your priority, when to them you are only an option"

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know a couple who did. They ended up divorced again a few years later and it was much more ugly than the first time.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by tufa4311 View Post
    I'm in a situation where this is a possibility and would like to hear if others have gone through this or know of someone who has. Please share a story of a divorced couple remarrying each other. How long were they originally married, divorced, and how long back together. Were there relationships in between, marriages in between? There are decisions to be made and it would help to hear others who have gone through it.
    I have never personally gone through it but an old co-worker of mine did. She and her BF got pregnant when they were 17. They got married and had the baby. Things got difficult for them in their mid 20's (b/c they hadn't experienced adult life being single etc...) and they divorced. Then they re-married when they were 32 for the right reasons...they still loved each other and had grown up. They are the happiest married couple I know.

An ex of mine has re-married his wife/GF (whatever she is at the current moment) 3 times! For the right reasons...who knows? I am happy for them though and actually just saw them out together a few weeks ago. I guess they are currently married again....expensive decisions!

Every relationship is different. Sometimes 2 people just can't seem to stay away from one another. Re-marrying an ex can absolutely work if you are getting back together for positive reasons and not b/c you are co-dependent on one another.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've never heard of it, but it seems to me the safest thing to do if you insist on getting back together is to just be in a relationship WITHOUT the marriage part. If you make it 20 years and you're still together, consider getting married then.

Everyone I know that's gone through a divorce (myself included) would never ever take back somebody they went through so much to get out of a relationship with. Divorce is serious, you have to really really want it.......and be ok with paying for it. In my case, it was the best money I ever spent.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

There are alot of risk you must think about before you decide this.
    Remarrying with ex may be can not help you find more happiness or significance in life.
    The ex may be really understand you but you can not definite that both of you can solve the problem between you - the reason
    to split up before. May be the bad things will react serious, and also vice versa.
    If you give a decision(do not know exactly what you want) - try to improve it from 50- 50 become 100% !

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I know a couple who did. They ended up divorced again a few years later and it was much more ugly than the first time.
    x 2. Ended up with a trip to the nervous hospital for the wife.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest