+ Follow This Topic

Thread: New Relationship- I don't wanna screw this one up

New Relationship- I don't wanna screw this one up

I just entered into a new relationship with this guy. I really care about him already- we have many things in common, we're not moving too fast, and I don't want to screw this up. I have depression and I've read and can vouch that when people with depression enter into relationships, characterists of OCD manifest. In my case, I think about the person constantly- I'm not talking about in an, oh, you just really like that person- and I worry about them and overanalyze situations and it makes me feel like I become a completetly different person. It interferes with my work and my happiness and I really don't like it. Because I am aware that this happens every time I am in a relationship I feel like I really need help from a community of people so that I don't sabotage this. I just want to be cool with myself and in this relationship so I don't jeopardize it before it even has a chance to become something really great. I know that I love myself and I deserve to be loved but this whole problem is basically chemical and I know that I have the potential to control it and grow stronger and move forward but I need help.
    Does anyone have any suggestions to quell thoughts and feelings of anxiety, panic, etc. so that I can just be normal and enjoy this relationship? This guy is really nice and I know he cares about me, too. I don't want to freak him out and drive him away.

Well I can tell you that a close friend of mine, had a depression, he is not fine after many years, however the first you need to realize is that this is npot something you are going to resolve by yourself and neither is a community like this, Depression, is a widely used term. The only people that can help you in a professional matter is a pshycologist.

I also would feel not telling stuff like this is not good, of course not on the first dates, but this is something you and if all goes well your future partner needs to live with for a great amount of time. If he do care about you as much as you say he would want to help you through this because there is a way out for most people, if you seek the right help.

I owuld also say that you should take it slow, trust your partner, but you have a problem and you do need professional help.

Im depressive. And have other mental troubles, you can see on my only thread my situation. The thing i got clear is that even if they care for you, you cant express yourself completely or too much when youre down, it will drive them away.

your issue is to be to be ask to us.

one thing i can say you will have to let him know your problem at a certain point
    you need professional help. good luck