+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Hate Emo

Why I Hate Emo

I've been doing a lot of thinking about Emo lately. About the whole punk culture in general, actually, but mostly that annoying little parasite of it known as Emo.

What is Emo? No, it's not a relative of the Emu. If it were, I wouldn't hate it so much. Emo-lovers generally cannot define it. Sometimes I help them out: "Though Emo is generally whiny, narcissistic music for people who hate life, those emotions are part of the human experience, so you could say that Emo is an offshoot of the human experience."

Lately I have not been so generous.

A few weeks ago, a new but close friend and a very smart, good guy was abducted from my school and shipped off by his parents to Colorado. He had already been kicked out of a Christian private school for quoting Nietzsche. His parents are staunch Evangelicals. This came without any warning and I was pretty sad to see my comrade go.

About him: David was into punk music and philosophy. David wore tight, "Emo" style clothing but was kind of thick around the edges. David was the nicest, most polite, incredibly mature kid I have ever met. David was [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulimia]bulimic[/URL].

I never knew about David's eating disorder when I knew him. The week after he left, I thought his parents had shipped him off for spitting on their faith. I learned through mutual friends about his problem. It hit me hard.

I started thinking about his little quirks: Picking the chicken out of his salads, giving away food, not talking about munchies after getting ripped. Then I started thinking about his friends.

None of David's friends were nearly as smart as he is. That's probably why he started hanging out with me and my small group of friends. They were, however, skinny. And they all wear tight clothes. Tight, Emo clothes. Stupid, tight, mind-****ing Emo clothes.

Then I started thinking about Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. I started thinking about how skinny he looks on stage and about his latest album. I started thining about the lines "You keep running to the bathroom, say you'll be right back/Well it takes one to know one kid I think you've got it bad." I thought, and I came to a sad realization. You are probably coming to the same one now.

That is why I hate Emo.

damn, You gave it alot of thought on why you do not like EMO. I just plain simply find them music annoying, stupid, and hilarious. The voice is like a whiny bitach.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 16-04-05 at 02:05 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Oh god.... Skye is going to have a fit when she sees this. She is like the emo queen. Look out! lol

It's all opinion really, some like it, some don't.

My New Car!! [URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058343]Cardomain![/URL]

"Be Mindful of The Future, But Not At The Expense of The Moment"

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser"

Donut----There's an actual name to all that noise? Whoops sorry Skye. This is why I keep coming back to LF. Learn something new everyday.

Me --> Hates Pat --> Pat is emo = Me hating pat and emo.

Seriously, Emo is alot of squeaky adolescent teenage "noise" as Chlorine rightfully puts it.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

your friend wasn't bulemic because he listened to emo and wore tight clothes. that's the same argument that some people used back in the day, "oh judas preist made my son kill himself!"

but emo is some whiney ass shit anyway.

ah emo, dont you love seeing all of those poser punk metrosexuals sport their latest fashions/music, and essentially shout , "Look at me"!!!! heh. It gets old pretty fast >.>.
    Boys dont cry...

Lets not get carried away. Not like stupid gay ghetto rap is any better.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ::looks around::

::skanks::

::decides it's no longer appropriate and leaves::

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i doubt that i've ever heard emo before.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

...thank your lucky stars...

define emo?

When i think about what bands are emo, the only band that comes to mind is Dashboard. Honestly, i know some of these "emo kids," but most of them (jet black hair, tight clothes) listen to hardcore, post punk, and the sort. Are screamo, hardcore, punk all part of that shitty label everyone denies that they are a part of? Or does emo consist of a few bands that cant seem to get away from whining about their ex'es?

Personally, i like a lot of different bands. Some may be labeled as "emo, ska, punk, whatever," but in my case, i dont listen to things just because its cool to. I hate these stupid sub-genres, its all rock and roll. Also, those poser, wanna be trendy kids, bug the hell out of me.

Donut, If im not mistaken, I have heard Bright Eyes being labled as emo.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra
    your friend wasn't bulemic because he listened to emo and wore tight clothes. that's the same argument that some people used back in the day, "oh judas preist made my son kill himself!"

but emo is some whiney ass shit anyway.
    You're right. The reason I hate emo is not because I think it is responsible, just that I can't bring myself to enjoy the music of an anorexic, depressed culture. Emo is a culture of eating-disorders. It would be cold of me to make any judgements about Skye, since there's no way I could know. But we've all seen her pictures and how insecure she is.

Secret, I used Conor Oberst as my example because I actually enjoy his music, even though some consider to be emo. Personally, I wouldn't label his music emo, because I like it too much, but I would label him as the epitome of the emo culture. I used to think all of his lyrics about being on the floor and seeing things differently in the morning were about alcoholism, but now I think I understand him a bit more clearly. His album "Lifted" would really give one hope that he had conquered his problem, but his latest efforts are saturated with subtle bulimic references. I'm not even sure his bandmates know. They probably take it for alcoholism also.

*Looks around*

*Shrugs*

*Walks off*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast