+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend wants sometime to rediscover things about herself

Girlfriend wants sometime to rediscover things about herself

Dear all,

We have been a couple for almost 2 years now, things hit a rough patch during this past year and she decided she wants a few weeks away from me. We had a lot of arguments about little things that escalate...etc. I was away on holiday for a week just after the weekend where we had our last argument, and when I thought we patched things up again, she changed her mind. After I returned, things changed quite significantly this time and I feel really lost.

We both came in to this relationship fairly quickly, after we both moved away from home to work/live in a new place. She returned to Hong Kong after being away for about 8 years, and I was born in Hong Kong but only just started living here 2 years ago. So i'm guessing before we even familirized with the environment we got ourselves in a bad situation.

She feels she's not compatible with me, but i'm quite confident that we are. We met each other when we were both in a worse state, and have come a long way to be where we are now, especially for her. She recently started university again, studying dentistry. I am still working and now studying on-line for another degree, so we are both fairly busy and I know she wants to catch up with work.

We talked properly for the first time last night over the phone, but she did say "she doesn't want me to misunderstand" by calling me. She says she doesn't really want to see me for the next few weeks though it will be ok to msg and call her. We still had a nice chat for about 45 mins and she still laughs at all my jokes. I know we both hurt each other a lot and I just hope we can mend our relationship. I really love her, and I'm making a real effort to change now to a man who is suitable for her. I've already put in quite a lot of effort in the past two years, and gradually changing, and I know this is a huge commitment. I do think we both still care and love one another. But ladies of this forum, do you guys have any advice? I know you guys don't know her but I am wondering if there are any stories where broken couples get back together again in a situation similar to this, and just wondering what my chances are. I know she has a lot of other guys on her tail as well...and I am hoping for the best, and expecting the worse.

hedgreen

Sorry for the disorganized message, i'm at work so i had to type this quickly. wanted to get it off my chest.

You're chances are fairly good since you've known her for a long time but on the other hand she may be getting bored of you.
    I've seen a couple that ended up taking "breaks" which eventually led to petty arguments and ultimately making them seek attention elsewhere.
    You have to figure out if she is on the same page as you, whilst you may still love her deeply...she may not as much anymore. Which may mean you have to "woo" her all over again.
    My two sense on this but don't go taking too many "breaks"...its not good.

she said that she wants to take the time to change as well to see if we can suit each other better. I don't think she was getting bored with me, but we were just arguing too much.

ahh ok, well it sounds like you want to fix the situation. I'm sure you can find it somewhere in your soul to argue less over petty things and "woo" her again. Unless you really can't avoid arguments?