+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is Age REALLY just a number?

Is Age REALLY just a number?

I have a crush. I'll be 27 in January so it feels weird to say I have a "crush." But I do. I can no longer deny it.

When I was 16 I had a friend, an older woman friend, who taught me about horses and life and was pretty much my coach for riding. She had two boys, just little kids, 8 and 10. I loved her boys and I look back on those days fondly. I moved away to WA and grew up. Well, I moved back to CA last month and....well...that little 8 year old boy is now a tall, handsome, polite and kind 18 year old man. Well...boy-man. He's a mature 18 year old with a job and a car and a life.

I'm not an idiot and I know when a guy is attracted to me. He has been putting the moves on since I moved home. I keep telling myself he's too young, I'm too old, what would his mom think, this feels weird, I knew him when he was just a tiny kid! But the feelings aren't going away. We both love horses, we both love God, we are attracted to each other, and he is a one woman kind of guy. He says "to heck with our age," and doesn't really care, but social norms are really hindering me!

I've always liked OLDER guys. Guys that are secure in who they are, are settled in their career, and ready to settle down.

I don't know WHY I feel this way. Trust me, if you knew me, you'd be flabbergasted. I have always been extremely opposed to dating men even a year or two younger than me.

I'm just confused. What do you guys think?

Its a little weird but I guarantee you hes just a kid inside

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnagetcha View Post
    I'm just confused. What do you guys think?
    I think you should stop being so silly. The difference in maturity between a guy at 18 and 27 is huge. At 18 he's just a kid. Worried about the opinions of 'society'? That's because most people would think you're wierd.

It's kind of weird, but you probably mean well. I'd guess you're just a bit immature and a little inexperienced in life. It's legal, why not have some fun and see what happens. What's the difference.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

You are just flattered by this young man's attention. Of course it feels good. But you are adult enough to know that this isn't going to make any sense to pursue. Just ignore his advances, and distance yourself from him. He will get the hint and move on.

You have to remember what you want at this stage of your life, and what an 18 year wants are going to be two different things. A relationship as this could be damaging to a young man that should be having many new experiences.....being with you could cheat him out of this. On the other side of the coin, you could be seeing it become serious for you, only to find out, when he is 21, hitting the clubs and seeing what is available to him, leaving you at age 30 and single again. You better think things through, with these possible consequences, not to mention his family's reaction.

I know it's wrong, but when the guy is younger people always seem to see it worse than if the guy was older.
    Give it a shot, start seeing each other and see how it goes. He might have some immature habits that might put you off, or you genuinely may have found someone you can be with. It's good that you have so much in common, there's no harm in going on a few dates right? Age is definitely just a number.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCDEFGHIJK View Post
    Age is definitely just a number.
    Yeah. I'm 48 and get wierd looks from people when I try to chat up 16 year old girls (that's the legal age here). But age is just a number right?

Age is just a number, but it's also a very accurate way to describe how old someone is.
    "... Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"