+ Follow This Topic

Thread: i was offered a supervisory position @ work...

i was offered a supervisory position @ work...

hi guys. i have quite a decision to make over the weekend so i'll lay it on you guys for some input...

i've been working for this company for about six years now. i work in a group home with people with disabilities. i have been working in the same house for most of that time and i'm pretty comfortable there. i have been part time because of school but i'm getting ready to graduate, (only 2 classes left!!) and i'm all too aware that i have to get a full time job to start paying back my loans, keep myself afloat, etc...

well today i was at the main office and this program manager who has known me since i first started and has been trying to get me to work in one of her homes forever offered me a home supervisor position at one of her homes that i used to work at a long time ago, before she was the program supervisor. the guy who was the pm when i worked there was an *******.

cons:
    there are two men that live there, one is high functioning and has a job. the other one is autistic and cannot speak and is big and has been known to be incredibly violent once over stimulated. he didn't get that way when i worked for him though, my trick was keep it calm and mellow at all times and all was cool. but he has beaten people up and is known to throw things and get crazy, which is just something you have to deal with when working with retarded people.
    i will leave a home i have worked in for a long time and am comfortable in.

pros:
    i would have health benefits, which i need.
    i will be a supervisor and will be able to put it on my resume.
    i'll make about 4 bucks an hour more than i make now.
    my supervisor would be this awesome woman named cecil.
    i would gain experience.

i guess i'm afraid that i'll get the job and i'll hate it and regret doing it. i tend to think fatalistically. what do you guys think?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i think that you should take it and try it out. people in general are afraid of change, but you shouldn't be. after a few months, it will be like your new home. besides 4 bucks extra an hour is an extra beer per hour. mmmmmmmmmm....

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

gaydar...blip beep blip beep beep
    The only mature way to use power, is to use it to serve those that are powerless.

Love is an art; some paintings can be dark, some can be light- but all are beautiful.

lol. are you referring to me?

oh and thanks for the response raverboy. i think i might. i've given myself the weekend to think about it. so far one of my friends has told me not to do it but that's because she doesn't have 30 grand in loans, she doesn't have to work because her husband handles that, and she's already been a supervisor somewhere. but everyone else has said do it. including my dad.

Misombra----Opportunity is knocking. You have experience already. Now you're being given a chance at a higher level, so it would be good for you to accept. As for the cons listed:
    *Autistic Guy---I would be afraid too. But since you already know what's coming, you're prepared. Would someone be there to help you?
    *i will leave a home...am comfortable in-----Comfort zone talking. Since you're graduating soon, you should try and move on.

anyway, my fears...

making life changes and being unsatisfied with them.
    - Sombra

Like the others I agree, you should take up this new position. You shouldn't be afraid of making life changes, if your not content with it, revert back. But don't let opportunties pass, change isn't always a bad thing.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

thanks for your comments you guys are sweet cakes.

i think i will apply for it. it is quite an opportunity and if i absolutely hate it then i can quit.

and the comfort thing is a *****. it's a two edge sword really. but moving up is moving up. anyway, keep the comments coming please. this is a pretty difficult decision and i'd like as much support and encouragement (or discouragement) as i can get...

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRTiaL RaGe
    gaydar...blip beep blip beep beep
    wow after you left, the beeping stopped... very mysterious.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

so here's a comprehensive list of pros and cons so far...

Pros.
    More money
    More hours
    Supervisory position (that shit looks good on a resume)
    Supervisory experience.
    I have a lot of support. Cecile, Leeann, Doug.
    I have good examples.
    Health insurance.
    I could do really well and surprise myself.
    It could open the door to really good opportunities.
    I will learn a lot.
    I could make a change.
    I am positive I could do a good job.

Cons.
    Marcus is scary.
    People walk on pins and needles around him.
    I will have to trust my staff and myself to handle intense situations.
    I will have to be responsible for what my staff and I do.
    My stress level is high.
    I fear making drastic mistakes.
    I would have to deal with criticism from everybody around me.

Good for you. Take it and good luck.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    From the sounds of things, the pros outweigh the cons by quite a bit. Take a chance. You'll never forgive yourself if you end up stuck in the same place for another six years....and upward mobility is almost always a positive thing on the whole. If you get that experience and you don't like the job, you'll be qualified to apply somewhere else (maybe for more $?) Who knows. But life's short, so why not go for it.

And good luck!

thanks bluesummer!

i went and applied for it today. i don't know if anyone else is applying (probably not cause it's a house with a reputation) so i'll keep ya'll informed!!!

indigosoul Guest
    I also think you should take the position. If it doesn't work out you'll have gained some valuable experience. There is a rather serious concern about your safety, however, that you need to deal with. I think you would feel more in control if you took some kind of self-defence training. Just in case. Oh, and good luck!

P.S. You listed in your cons your concerns about the increased responsibility. I think (since you were conscientious enough to list it) you'll do fine.
    Last edited by indigosoul; 26-04-05 at 02:02 PM.