+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do you know when to give up?

How do you know when to give up?

Hi everybody!

My name is Sam, I am 21 years old. I have been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years.
    Things started out amazingly, puppy love and staying up all night talking and planning a future, typical teenage romance. As time passed we grew into a deeper kind of love, totally in sync with each other and I couldn't picture my life without him. However I feel like lately he brings out the worst in me. Over the past year our arguments have been getting more and more cruel, both of us say things we don't mean and end up apologizing, but nothing changes. He has broken up with me 3 times in the past year, every time to come back and apologize. He is very stubborn (like most guys) and I can be too. I feel so deeply for him, but sometimes when we kiss the spark isn't there anymore, and sometimes is it. I am so confused on what to do, I do not have much experience with other guys, we have been together since I was 16. How do you know when, or if, it is time to move on? Things have just been getting so vicious lately, I can't see myself living this way my whole life. Any ideas on how to fix this? I just want the man I fell in love with back. I do love him, but is love always enough?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated!

Sam

Like I said to another poster who posted something similar, I think it's time to move on when you have to ask the question 'how do I know when it's time to move on/give up'. You guys get together when you were very young. Relationships change over time and it's rare people stay with their first. Have you had a good chat with him about this and how it is making you feel? That would be the first step. Good luck.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

People change. Relationships develop. Sometimes it just falls apart. Accept it and move on. Just because you've been together for x number of years is no reason to continue if it's just not working anymore. It happens.

pisces has this one down. If you're asking "Is it time to move on?" you already know the answer, you're just seeking validation at this point.

Personally, I move on when I no longer see a path for positive progression, or am not happy where I am currently at.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

That is a difficult dilemma you have there. Love bonds are not something that is easily broken. You each plant a seed within each other that grew to great heights because of your love for each other. Though you may have your differences and dilemma, the memory you share will always remain dormant within you. I say the only way to counteract that is by forming a new bond. People that are in their first relationships and try to form a new one tends to attract that same type of person. So decide what kind a person you want to form a bond with. Learn from your previous experience and apply it to your next relationship. Keep a positive mindset about your relationship and it will turn out in your favor.