+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 80s New Wave or pop

80s New Wave or pop

Who can make recommendations to a guy already somewhat remarkably knowledgeable about genres from the decade preceding that of the one in which he was born?

Now I don't mean the obvious, bordered on self parody big 80s groups; as aforementioned, I am really familiar with the big names of the time.

Front 242, Julian Cope, That Petrol Emotion, Generation X, Living Color, Modern English, Skinny Puppy, Black Flag, Oingo Boingo, Stereo MC, New Order, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Camper Van Beethoven, Echo and the Bunnymen,......I can go on and on....

Some good new ones in there; New Order is of course a standard for beginners but I've delved deeper than them. They are one of my all-time faves. I am one of the biggest Cure detractors; hate that fat emo jackass Morrissey-bagging 'tard Robert Smith. LOVE Echo & the Bunnymen

I wanna check out The Outfield and more Hall and Oates, things of that nature. Used to get Go West confused with Hall and Oates. Survivor seems pretty good, are they also worth looking into?

Sure if you like fluff.....

LOL, fluff? You know who was really good? INXS. Oh, and Simple Minds. Bauhaus any good? And remember OMD and Erasure? They sounded alike but they were both pretty good, except one was really gay, literally.

Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, and Bad Religion (bad religion is prob more 90s but they started in the 80s)

O sorry you said pop my bad...

I used to hate Pixies but they have two of the best albums I've heard (only have their first two albums).

As you mentioned INXS...I wonder how many other 1980's Aussie bands you know. Some would have gotten airplay in the US and some wouldn't - but I don't know which ones. Some of these are rockers and you only mentioned New Wave and Pop....but I'll throw them in anyway.

Off the top of my head.... Australian Crawl, Icehouse (or Flowers as they were known for their first album), Mondo Rock, Radiators, Machinations, The Models, Sunnyboys, Hunters and Collecters, The Angels, Divinyls, Mi-Sex

You forgot Midnight Oil, who has one of my favorite albums ever. Come to think of it, Crowded House is from Australia too, aren't they? They had a very solid album.

How could I forget the Oils!?

Crowded House are a New Zealand band. They did get lots of airplay here though. Neil Finn's band Crowded House reminds me of his brother Tim Finn's band Split Enz. Split Enz was much more my style back in the day.

oops. I thought they were Aussies but nope. Looks like AC/DC is from Australia, but I don't like AC at all. I forgot Men at Work ("Land Down Under" is slightly overrated where I think "Who Can It Be Now?" is their better big hit).
    Last edited by Love'sReject; 17-12-12 at 05:16 AM.

Yep, AC/DC are very Aussie. If you don't like AC/DC, what do you think of The Angels?

Agree that Who Can It Be Now is a better song. A bit of trivia for you...did you know that Men At Work got sued for sampling the flute solo in Land Down Under? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyB2l5wqLE The flautist ended up committing suicide because he was so distraught about the allegations. Very sad.

What about Mental as Anything?

Hadn't heard of The Angels.

Lol,no I had no idea about that Men At Work Ordeal. That sucks! Never cared a whole lot for Split Enz.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast