+ Follow This Topic

Thread: 5 year itch or something more serious?

5 year itch or something more serious?

Hi, would appreciate any advice from anyone who can give an objective view.

I have been with my partner for 5 years and we met when he was 20 and I was 22.
    Initially I didn't think it would become a serious relationship as we had met by chance in his home town and I lived over an hour drive away. However he was very persistent would drive down to see me at weekends and this went on for a few years. Last year, we realised that at some point one of us would have to move and as he was unable to, I got a job and moved in with him and his parents. We had a mortgage approved by this time and we thought that this would be temporary and would be a couple of months, but this ended up being for one year. Although we made efforts to do things as a couple, certain things were harder to maintain being in his family home!

My boyfriend was quite young when we met and I am his first serious relationship. I had had a couple of boyfriends but nothing lasting longer than a year. I always said to my boyfriend that I didn't want him to regret having a long term relationship at his age, but he said he wouldn't.

Two months ago we moved into out new home, which needs a fair bit of work. This has been stressful and combined with having to change our spending and getting used to living just the two of us has been a challenge all at once.

Last week, my boyfriend had been on a night out with his friends and came home quite drunk. Somehow, this turned into a conversation about how he loves me, but it feels like a different type of love. Previously we had spoken openly about getting married and having children in the future but he said that he wants to 'live life' and wants to go out more, have a holiday with his friends etc. he has also recently been to see his brother st university recently and i think was quite jealous of his brother's party lifestyle. Since that night he has stuck to saying he feels like this, though at one point he said he thinks we should have a baby! Another frequent comment has been that he wished we met later, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that.

I still very much want our relationship to work and love my boyfriend, but over the last week he is like another person, though there are glimmers of how he used to be. I think that we have had a very stressful time in our relationship recently and wonder if it is the level of commitment that has scared my boyfriend or whether he has just fallen out of love with me and there is no way back from there.

Thanks for any replies!

I have heard of 7 year itch tale before..

the relationship get bored and the two are breaking away...

is there a 5 years itch?
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

Problem is that you two met quite young and became serious. Usually in your early 20's that is when you explore. You are on your own, you party in college, you date variety and you have your crazy bachelor lifestyle of one night stands on your Friday nights instead of staying home and watching the new "Twilight" with your Ball and chain. For many ppl who haven't experienced this lifestyle when they were young because they were "tied down" in their relationship start fantasizing of how "fun" the bachelor lifestyle is. Media and peers don't help either by constantly portraying the young party lifestyle and crazy one night stands after the bars somewhat glamorizing this lifestyle. Plus having his brother probably yell him about all the fun frat parties and hot ass doesn't make things better either. Nothing you can do about it. That is why usually young couples won't last forever, and if they do..one day the man will hit 40 and have a midlife crisis