+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is this normal, to miss him so much?

Is this normal, to miss him so much?

A little background, we've been together for 2 years, and we're in our twenties. We used to live an hour apart and see each other on the weekends, and for the last year he has been living in the city , about 15 minutes away. Since then, we haven't really gone more than 2 days without seeing each other, we always text and never run out of things to talk about. He is absolutely the love of my life and I know he feels the same. I am a full time student, and his job is seasonal, and requires him to practice on his own time throughout the winter.

Right now he has gone on a week long vacation with him family. I was invited but I had to turn it down, because of an important exam. I feel bad for being so jealous, but I am. I am stressed out over school, wishing I was on vacation, and I can't talk to or see my boyfriend for a week. Its only been a day and I had NO idea i would miss him this much. ( I know its only a week and it's not a long time, but it's still hard for me). I can't even occupy my time going out with friends, I need to stay in studying

Has anybody else ever felt so miserable when they're loved ones are away? I just feel pathetic and weak like I shouldn't be so sad that he's gone for a week. My world is feels so much better when he's in it. Also, as I was saying about his job, He will be gone for 5 weeks this winter, and next year he could be gone as long as 3-4 months. I guess I've really scared myself a little. If I get so sad about him being gone for a week, how am I going to be able to cope when he's gone for a month or longer?! I never really thought about the idea of having to spend time away from him on a regular basis. I am not worried about him cheating or anything like that, he loves me more than anything and i know it. I guess I'm just looking on some advice on how to not miss him so badly, or ways to make it seem easier on my heart. I get so anxious thinking about how badly i'll miss him when he's away.

You seem quite dependent on him. WHY are you missing him so much? Is it because you miss the way he makes you feel? Miss the company? Miss the sex? Or is it because you feel better when he is close to you so you know what he is always up to? Are you scared he isn't going to miss you as much and realise he likes being on his own?

You did mention you feel jealous. I think this is perhaps what is really behind the anxiety. Plus general insecurity. It is normal to miss our partners when they are away but if only one week is causing you anxiety like this then you need to examine why. Just stay busy, throw yourself into your exam prep and he will be back before you know it. It is healthy to have time apart. Think of all the great sex you'll have and all you can talk about when he is back. Plus, it is a good measure of how healthy your relationship is. If you both missed each other like crazy then you got nothing to worry about.

When he is away for longer isn't there ways you can keep in touch ie Skype, sms, calls etc?
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!