+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you agree with the following statements about platonic friendship?

Do you agree with the following statements about platonic friendship?

I always wonder if friendship between guys and girls can be purely platonic.Recently I've read the following discussion/statements on forums:

1)"87% of platonic friendships include someone who has 'more than friends' feelings. 92% of them are men."

2)"Girls and guys are different. Girls can truly just be friends with guys. On the other hand guys can’t just be friends with girls. Guys will pretend that they are strictly platonic friends, but deep down there are generally one or two reasons that they are hanging out with a female. Number 1, the guy has a mini crush on the girl that he is hanging out with and hopes that something will develop in the future. Number 2, he is hoping that the girl brings her friends out so he can make a run at them.

Secondly,guys just like hanging out with guys.It’s not that guys don’t like hanging out with girls, but the potential to hook up is essential.If a guy meets a really cool chick and thinks he has a chance with her, that is when he will choose the girl over his buddies 100 out of 100 times."

3)"I don’t really buy that guys put real time and effort into cultivating platonic friendships with women. They only do that with women they hope to hook up with. Most guys have platonic friendships with women whether they want them or not, and they don’t really need to go winning over new women to be best buds with. Besides, guys rely very heavily on each other for friendship; the world of male friendships has always been homosocial.

It’s also true in my experience that women are usually the ones who worry about ruining the friendship. A guy will risk the friendship every time to fulfill the fantasy of having sex with you. He knows he’ll have to deal with the fallout, but it will be totally worth it, and he’ll think about that tomorrow. After all, we know which head his brain is in."

Is this true?Are you agree with the above statements?
    I'm very much looking forward to your answer. Thank you very much

I'm a woman. I've given up on 'platonic' friendships because they get complicated. Someone (if not both!) will get all lusty and it all just gets too messy.

It was hard giving up having male friends because I really like the way men think. But it's nice to find that I can enjoy female company.

Quote Originally Posted by edpjrr View Post
    I always wonder if friendship between guys and girls can be purely platonic.Recently I've read the following discussion/statements on forums:

1)"87% of platonic friendships include someone who has 'more than friends' feelings. 92% of them are men."

2)"Girls and guys are different. Girls can truly just be friends with guys. On the other hand guys can’t just be friends with girls. Guys will pretend that they are strictly platonic friends, but deep down there are generally one or two reasons that they are hanging out with a female. Number 1, the guy has a mini crush on the girl that he is hanging out with and hopes that something will develop in the future. Number 2, he is hoping that the girl brings her friends out so he can make a run at them.

Secondly,guys just like hanging out with guys.It’s not that guys don’t like hanging out with girls, but the potential to hook up is essential.If a guy meets a really cool chick and thinks he has a chance with her, that is when he will choose the girl over his buddies 100 out of 100 times."

3)"I don’t really buy that guys put real time and effort into cultivating platonic friendships with women. They only do that with women they hope to hook up with. Most guys have platonic friendships with women whether they want them or not, and they don’t really need to go winning over new women to be best buds with. Besides, guys rely very heavily on each other for friendship; the world of male friendships has always been homosocial.

It’s also true in my experience that women are usually the ones who worry about ruining the friendship. A guy will risk the friendship every time to fulfill the fantasy of having sex with you. He knows he’ll have to deal with the fallout, but it will be totally worth it, and he’ll think about that tomorrow. After all, we know which head his brain is in."

You nailed it. There are so many stupid bitches out there that are in such denial over what has been stated. It's no wonder guys get so frustrated, but then again guys need to stipulate their intentions up front instead of taking the coward's way.

Quote Originally Posted by edpjrr View Post

1) No; not all girls in a "platonic friendship" are attractive and neither are all guys: there are disproportionately more unattractive folk than attractive.

2) That's backward: most GIRLS can't be JUST friends.

3) Disagree: things are changing socially. Women are starting to assert their newly won equality and so are going out of their way to act like "just another guy" that there are more platonic friendships with girls. Girls are getting increasingly crude and boylike, in other words. Not to mention, most guys' real ulterior motive for platonic friendships is a vanity thing: they don't care about the quality of the looks of the girls, they care about the quantity of girl friends they have, to impress other girls, to brag about and occasionally manipulate into sex favors.

<--expert in theory
    Last edited by Love'sReject; 12-12-12 at 09:48 AM.

A platonic friendship between a man and a woman can work if the man is gay, or if the woman is fat and/or ugly. Otherwise, the man will eventually want to have sex with the woman.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    1) No; not all girls in a "platonic friendship" are attractive and neither are all guys: there are disproportionately more unattractive folk than attractive.

3) Disagree: things are changing socially. Women are starting to assert their newly won equality and so are going out of their way to act like "just another guy" that there are more platonic friendships with girls. Girls are getting increasingly crude and boylike, in other words. Not to mention, most guys' real ulterior motive for platonic friendships is a vanity thing: they don't care about the quality of the looks of the girls, they care about the quantity of girl friends they have, to impress other girls, to brag about and occasionally manipulate into sex favors.

<--expert in theory
    Wow...... derailment going on here lol.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    A platonic friendship between a man and a woman can work if the man is gay, or if the woman is fat and/or ugly. Otherwise, the man will eventually want to have sex with the woman.
    I think this pretty much covers all the scenarios where a friendship will be 100% platonic. And even then this isn't guaranteed as the woman may still want to sleep with the gay man.

I would however like to see the article that talks about the 87% and 92% statistic. I've never heard those numbers, and they seem high/skewed.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Ah finally, someone who agrees

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    Wow...... derailment going on here lol.
    First, I'm not known for derailing threads so that's really coming out of nowhere. Second, the OP didn't present any hypotheticals and just asked for opinions, which I gave (more like theories because evidence supports it).

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    Nah, dude: I'm something of a friend with this hot girl (only hot girl I know) but I don't want anything past that (nor could I actually GET past friendship, anyway).

First, I'm not known for derailing threads so that's really coming out of nowhere. Second, the OP didn't present any hypotheticals and just asked for opinions, which I gave (more like theories because evidence supports it).
    Derailment of perspective, not thread.

Nah, dude: I'm something of a friend with this hot girl (only hot girl I know) but I don't want anything past that (nor could I actually GET past friendship, anyway).
    It's not that you don't want to, it's that you know you can't. You protect yourself by not making an effort to.

It's not that you don't want to, it's that you know you can't. You protect yourself by not making an effort to.
    A) She's hot and I'm not. Hot girls go out with commensurately attractive dudes. B) She's popular: One of her photos has over 100 Likes. I have less than 80 FB friends, some of which are family members. C) She's a club-hopping trendster. I've never even been in a club.

<--expert in theory
    Things have been changing socially for over a century. Equality in not new found nor is it 100%. Women are still fighting. We are no longer chattle, so we don't have to perform proper social graces to gain a husband to support us anymore. Also men can't make enough money to have a stay at home wife, kids and a mortgage. We are forced to be a part of bread winning, or to be the bread winniner because some men walk away from their responsiblity to support their own child. The world is changing, so we all have to change with it.

Things have been changing socially for over a century. Equality in not new found nor is it 100%. Women are still fighting. We are no longer chattle, so we don't have to perform proper social graces to gain a husband to support us anymore. Also men can't make enough money to have a stay at home wife, kids and a mortgage. We are forced to be a part of bread winning, or to be the bread winniner because some men walk away from their responsiblity to support their own child. The world is changing, so we all have to change with it.
    The more things "change", the more things stay the same. Women are free to be assertive but most just use the freedom to stay subjugated and conform to gender roles.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast