+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Live-in relationship Vs. Marriage

Live-in relationship Vs. Marriage

Live-In Relationship Vs Marriage Relationship. A very challenging topic and sensitive issue so write about this poics .

Chat 2 Friend

It's not so challenging if the law recognises the union. I've been defacto for 20 years...no need for official marriage because the law recognises us as a couple.

marriage is a serious commitment whereas in live in relationship one can walk away anytime without legal complications.

Quote Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
    marriage is a serious commitment whereas in live in relationship one can walk away anytime without legal complications.
    This.

I would definitely not be happy being a forever ''live-in gf''. If he doesn't want serious commitment that includes marriage, then he can walk out the door. BTW I'm not living in with anyone till I see real proof aobut the relationship moving towards the next step.

BlueMoonSal

You agree that lack of legal complications make it easier to leave a defacto relationship. It's far from the truth.

Having been divorced after a 4 year, childless marriage, I can tell you that a divorce can be as simple as a bit of paper from the courts and splitting the modest assets we had. Honestly, it was no more difficult to get out of than to get into.

Whereas in my current 20yr defacto relationship, splitting would be far more difficult because our lives are so much further intertwined. Child custody, splitting of substantial assets, retirement funds, ongoing support for our disabled child, my role as carer, uprooting children's lives.....leaving would be a nightmare!

I'm not criticising you wanting to get married. Not at all. It's your choice and you must do what's right for you. But just making the point that whether a couple are officially married or not, either can be easy or complicated to end depending on the amount of time together, assets and children.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I think you should live together for at least a year or two before marriage to be sure you are compatible.

Just throwing this out there for any guys who don't want to get married:

If you cohabit, be wary. Many states and provinces in Canada have enacted stricter "commonwealth" laws, wherein if you live together for x years you are considered 100% legally married and require a divorce to break up. In British Columbia I think it's as low as 2 years ATM.

In Australia, we don't require a 'divorce' to break up - but a separation of defacto after two years would be under the same property laws as a properly married couple.

If (heaven forbid) I ever found myself single again, I'd probably get some type of legal agreement before shacking up with someone. I'd risk my own money if I had no children - but I do have kids and need to ensure their inheritance.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

where is the pic? nothing attached