+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girlfriend considering leaving for career

Quote Originally Posted by acousticman72 View Post
    Thankyou everyone for your opinions. I have never tried to take anything from her. I have told her I will support her in whatever she wants to do. I guess I'm different. I will always put people before anything else. Without people, we have nothing. Sorry for wasting your time.
    Actully, I'm sorry we didn't tell you what you wanted to hear and thereby likely wasted your time.

Good luck no matter what happens... Do ask her did she want you to follow her though. It's been ambiguous if she does or doesn't.. even to you, I think.

Grow up. Stop being so melodramatic. Yes, people are very important, but it is also equally important to be content and happy with yourself. You can't always use other people as a crutch, so doing what she feels she needs to do on her own will help her.

I have been on the other side. I have a bf who cannot move with me due to his ill parents and threatens to break up with me if I move.

http://www.loveforum.net/threads/75831-Marriage-versus-Career-Dilemma

Like you gf, I too would like the opportunity to just 'fast-track' my career instead of being stuck in a slow climb up the ladder. We feel we should do our best to carve out a good future for ourselves so that we can provide more for our children - in terms of education, lifestyle, leisure, convenience, comfort etc. We are also thinking about our retirement and how much our current job can provide us and our children when we are old, versus how much the job offer at hand and resultant job prospects could provide us in our senior years. These are important life issues to consider. Modern women love their husbands / bfs and do not like burden them by depending completely on their husbands / bfs for these additional luxuries. We also have the drive to excel in what we do and love being sought after for our talents and skills. Her move has nothing to do with her not loving you. In fact, she would really appreciate it if you could see her motivation for the move. It would be helpful if you could discuss lifestyle expectations with her after she has moved for a while and see if you still are compatible. After visiting her, you may see her point of view and decide that you may want to move with her for a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryCookie View Post
    I have been on the other side. I have a bf who cannot move with me due to his ill parents and threatens to break up with me if I move.

http://www.loveforum.net/threads/75831-Marriage-versus-Career-Dilemma

Like you gf, I too would like the opportunity to just 'fast-track' my career instead of being stuck in a slow climb up the ladder. We feel we should do our best to carve out a good future for ourselves so that we can provide more for our children - in terms of education, lifestyle, leisure, convenience, comfort etc. We are also thinking about our retirement and how much our current job can provide us and our children when we are old, versus how much the job offer at hand and resultant job prospects could provide us in our senior years. These are important life issues to consider. Modern women love their husbands / bfs and do not like burden them by depending completely on their husbands / bfs for these additional luxuries. We also have the drive to excel in what we do and love being sought after for our talents and skills. Her move has nothing to do with her not loving you. In fact, she would really appreciate it if you could see her motivation for the move. It would be helpful if you could discuss lifestyle expectations with her after she has moved for a while and see if you still are compatible. After visiting her, you may see her point of view and decide that you may want to move with her for a better future.
    He IS willing to move with her, if you read it right, she hasn't asked him if he would consider moving. It's like she isn't going to give him a choice to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12