+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Does anyone know the official title for this position?

Does anyone know the official title for this position?

I've been watching "Disappeared", a show as you can easily guess is about folks who disappear. Having watched it the last few nights, it's made me restless and not having a specific profession in mind, I have come to thinking about those who go about fields and parks looking for bodies or clues.

Does anyone know what that is officially called?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Dead people/bits = forensic.. something. Forensic investigator/detective/something like?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I didn't get a definitive answer from another site I frequent but he claims most of the search parties are comprised of rookies, or those still in the academy. I was hoping this was a separate thing and avoid certain other things..I'm sure finding bodies especially in grisly states could probably be a traumatizing profession but it seemed like something extremely helpful..

Still thinking of a possible career choice..

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think law enforcement officers/investigators usually do the looking, and then when they find something of interest, they cordon off the area and use crime scene investigators and forensic scientists to gather evidence. (That's the way the LA County Sheriff does it, anyway.)

Crime scene investigators don't make much money... it's just an associate's degree that is needed. Forensic people make a much better living, but you will need a degree in science to get in.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I see. Thanks, Vash. It seems a little different in these episodes I've been seeing, they had massive search parties and that is particularly what I am curious about: from where does this manpower come?

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    I see. Thanks, Vash. It seems a little different in these episodes I've been seeing, they had massive search parties and that is particularly what I am curious about: from where does this manpower come?
    Volunteers and auxiliary officers mostly.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    SAR is huge here in BC, and volunteer based. Mostly for people who get into trouble on the local mountains.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Depends on your personality type. CSI can be fairly mundane work, but if you're into it and have attention to detail you may enjoy it. You have to be able to deal with grisly on occasion though. It's a solid career choice with a perk or 2.

Searches etc., pretty much work along the lines of what Vash said. You're not going to find a bunch of civilians trampling all over what could be a major crime scene. If it's situations like Indi stated, people getting stranded, lost, no real indication of being a victim of a crime, then any type of manpower could be utilized.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

I don't think I'm nearly intelligent enough to do forensics but I do feel compelled to help search for missing or possibly dead folks..oh well, if there's no clear way to get into that, I'll just toss that aside as a potential career..

Have you buried some poor ****er in the woods bro?

LOL, no. The only thing I buried was my ability with the ladies in the summer of '08.