+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother w/Cancer

Mother w/Cancer

First of all let me point out that I'm not looking for any pity, but rather knowledge on the subject of cancer.

My mother had a cancerous ovary removed about 2 years ago. She had no health insurance because of a previous job loss (had it through her company) and was unable to do any follow ups.
    During these two years she has been bleeding vaginally every single day. She said she was unable to go to the doctor for the same reason as above, and was too prideful to borrow money from friends who were willing to give it.
    Now, this past month, she finally decided to take her friends up on their money offer and go to the doctor.
    Numerous tests were done and of course the cancer was still in her body even after her ovary was removed. Now, all her sexual organs are completely black with cancer.
    In the past month and a half she has lost so much weight that she now weighs only 120 pounds, and is still losing it. Her hair is falling out, she looks like hell.

My question is, does anyone here have any family who has been through the same and survived? How long does it sound she may have to live?

PS- Supposedly (this is what I hear from my sister and is not a fact as I didnt hear it from the doctor myself) this cancer has gone so far that even chemo wouldnt helo her, it would kill her.
    ~Sarah~

Well, really it is too bad about your Mom, but I'd suggest that there are probably much better places to look for medical advice than on this forum. Also, your Mom's physician would have told her her prognosis. Perhaps it is best to check with her.

there are probably much better places to look for medical advice than on this forum
    NO SHIT! And I've been there but have no answers and when youre in a situation like I am in you'll go anywhere for any information you can get!

You should probably check with her
    Already did babe... cant get any more information out of her than a cow...

So back to my question... is there anyone on this forum who could be a nurse or doctor (or know someone who is one) who would know how long it could be before I lose my mother? I'd like to know so I can start planning for her funeral
    ~Sarah~

Im really sorry about your mom...
    I pity you Even tho your not looking for any....

No one will be able to answer your question without seeing your mother's medical records. If death is a certainty, I'd start planning for the funeral. Assuming she is broke and you will be paying for it, it will cost you more than you think. In Los Angeles, burial plots start at around $6000; casket expense varies widely, probably starting at around $2000, and if you don't belong to a church, you may have to pay a clergyman to come and say a few nice things about her. (A funeral home probably has this built in to their pricing if you don't care about having a particular denomination of clergy.). In Christian religions, you will need to consider the expense of embalming, flowers, and perhaps wake expenses if you are Catholic. Cremation is cheaper. If you are really going to be responsible for all this on your own, I'd suggest you contact a funeral home and discuss it with them.

And by the way, I HAVE been in this situation. My father died of cancer when I was 17, so you can stop with the hostility.

Well good for you Shh! It seems if you really did know what it was like you would have been a bit more sensitive about it than ya were... but maybe now the reason that youre so bitter has come out into the open...

What gave you the idea I was paying for any of this by myself? Oh I know why you said all that... to shove it in my face. Well thank you but I dont need it
    I ALREADY KNEW how much funerals cost. Or let me guess...were you saying all that to help me out??
    IF there is anyone out there other than this person... who knows something about how long this may take please tell me.
    You all already know her medical condition and you dont need anymore information than that.

She was actually scheduled for a hysterectomy on the 24th but canceled it because they wouldnt do it for free... how rediculous is that lol..
    ~Sarah~

Huh? OK, you are one psychotic girl....

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    Huh? OK, you are one psychotic girl....
    I'm tellin' you guys.

She's Big Nurse.

......Anyone?
    ~Sarah~

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    I'm tellin' you guys.

She's Big Nurse.
    Not yet; will be, though. I am doing pre-req's for an RN program. The fact that no one here can diagnose her mother via the internet without benefit of medical records and medical training is, well, to be blunt, absurdly obvious.

By the way, Ladygirl, you asked, "What gave you the idea I was paying for any of this by myself?". Must have been this post you made: "I'd like to know so I can start planning for her funeral". This statement clearly implies you are the one responsible, particularly since you mentioned your mother was accepting money from friends to see a doctor. Obviously, she is not wealthy.

Yes, the info given was done so genuinely and in good spirit. It was good, practical info for someone who claims they are wanting to start planning a funeral. I SAID I was sorry about your Mom, and normally people would accept this as an expression of sympathy. I think it is sad when anyone goes through this. But really, what more did you expect? Did you think I should actually weep?

Honestly, your reaction makes me wonder if perhaps you have embellished this story. Are you perhaps looking for a little attention?

indigosoul Guest
    These are the best. Used by both scientists and physicians.

[url]http://www.nci.nih.gov/[/url]
    [url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/[/url]
    [url]http://medlineplus.gov/[/url]

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    Not yet; will be, though. I am doing pre-req's for an RN program. The fact that no one here can diagnose her mother via the internet without benefit of medical records and medical training is, well, to be blunt, absurdly obvious.

By the way, Ladygirl, you asked, "What gave you the idea I was paying for any of this by myself?". Must have been this post you made: "I'd like to know so I can start planning for her funeral". This statement clearly implies you are the one responsible, particularly since you mentioned your mother was accepting money from friends to see a doctor. Obviously, she is not wealthy.

Yes, the info given was done so genuinely and in good spirit. It was good, practical info for someone who claims they are wanting to start planning a funeral. I SAID I was sorry about your Mom, and normally people would accept this as an expression of sympathy. I think it is sad when anyone goes through this. But really, what more did you expect? Did you think I should actually weep?

Honestly, your reaction makes me wonder if perhaps you have embellished this story. Are you perhaps looking for a little attention?
    Oh...

I wasn't even referring to you...

Nor did I realize you were in med school.

If any of you ever read "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", I was comparing Lovely to Big Nurse.

currently stationed in a place that abides gravity...
    I never was the brightest fellow around my parts, but considering the fact this forum is about love, you can't really see it from this thread...

now back to the main topic, I can tell you that from my life experience people always vastly underpower the state of mind when it comes to physical conditions (such as cancer).

I've heard of many cases that led me to think that as long as the attitude is optimistic, you can even withstand cancer... but then again, it's easier said then done, so all I can say, is that if your mother will be depressed, nothing could be done to help her, and death will come soon(and it works vice versa).

I wish you good luck. death is never easy to deal with, let alone fight it.
    Last edited by principium; 28-05-05 at 06:04 PM.
    "Dum spiro, spero..."

Dear Lovely,
    I am so sorry that you and your family r going through this, i have never been in your situation never directly afftecting me or my immediate family.
    I am wondering if there is a local health department where she lives? if there is they can help her with the expenses and point her in the right direction for assisted medical programs.You might alos look in the direction of the cancer association for support and maybe some 1 can point your mom in the right direction. Lovely you are in my prayers tonight. Please take care and we are here if u need to talk
    It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, a day to love someone - but it takes a lifetime to forget someone"

People change and forget to tell each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    Oh...

I wasn't even referring to you...

Nor did I realize you were in med school.

If any of you ever read "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", I was comparing Lovely to Big Nurse.
    I haven't read the book, but LOVE the movie. Nicholson at his absolute best. Obviously "Big Nurse" must be referring to Nurse Ratched?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast