+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do guys like tomboys?

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer.c View Post
    I was really just asking about long-term relationships, because my luck with those has not been great, haha.
    I don't quite see why there should be a negative correlation between tomboy and chances of sustaining a long-term relationship. Rather, one would think that having a GF who entertains male-like pursuits would make it easier to do stuff together and remain connected through mutual interests once the infatuation has worn off?

Must be a comfort zone thing; if the girl acts too much like a guy rather than a girl, he starts feeling he's nearly going out with a dude and thus practically gay (aside from a few physiological differences). In relationships, the guy probably wants to enjoy a sense of power and manly strength which would require a more submissive girly girl..a tomboy would be too much of a challenge (and slightly gay to an extent).

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    Must be a comfort zone thing; if the girl acts too much like a guy rather than a girl, he starts feeling he's nearly going out with a dude and thus practically gay (aside from a few physiological differences). In relationships, the guy probably wants to enjoy a sense of power and manly strength which would require a more submissive girly girl..a tomboy would be too much of a challenge (and slightly gay to an extent).
    That could make sense. But I don't think any guy dating a tomboy (assuming she looks like a girl - remember, there's a difference between 'tomboy' and 'butch') is worried about being gay. Unless he's reeeeeeally insecure and is concerned with being as macho as possible. Which, frankly, are the kind of guys that turn me off the most so, no problems there.

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
    I don't quite see why there should be a negative correlation between tomboy and chances of sustaining a long-term relationship. Rather, one would think that having a GF who entertains male-like pursuits would make it easier to do stuff together and remain connected through mutual interests once the infatuation has worn off?
    Yeah, I totally agree! I just wonder why I hear claims to the contrary.

Seems you're quite independent yourself that you don't need a guy however want one. Maybe an independent one?

Did your ex's not feel needed? Because of the stereotype that a man should provide for a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Consistency View Post
    Seems you're quite independent yourself that you don't need a guy however want one. Maybe an independent one?

Did your ex's not feel needed? Because of the stereotype that a man should provide for a woman.
    I think my boyfriends did feel needed, but it's an interesting point. I just know I don't want a relationship where the guy's all domineering and wanting to make decisions as "the man in the relationship". I think everyone should be equals

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitss View Post
    girls like that often have been abuse, bad childhood, or they use tomboy as a kind of protection,males in the family where losers,etc.

i think once they find a dude that is different and good for them and their match that shows them real love
    they may heal from some stuff and see that they dont have too be like that.
    Hm, that might be the case sometimes, but not always. I had a great childhood, just happened to grow up with brothers and only boys to play with in the neighborhood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12