Hi all,

I was just wanting to ask a philiosophical question.

Do you think it's possible, or honest, to promise to love someone your entire life? I know (previously) married couple who have divorced for whatever reason, so the wedding vow to love someone forever doesn't seem to apply to some people. To say "I meant it on our wedding day" isn't what's being promised.

What you're saying when you make this promise is that "in 30 or 40 years time, I will still love you". Or is it just words, and me being to literal? And not "I love you but I'm not IN love with you", the old cleasé, I mean true romance.

I think there should be a clause in wedding vows to the effect of "I promise not to make your life a suffocated living hell". Do people stay together too long just because of their vows? Is it about the wedding or the marriage? My brother eloped with his fiancée, and they got married in secret, no big fanfare or anything, so I would say for him, he just wanted them to be married. The wedding (from what I hear from them) was a simple ceremony, not an excuse for a big party. For them, I think they'll be happy simply because of their boundless tolerance of each other.