+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I fell for my boss and we are both married! Help!

I fell for my boss and we are both married! Help!

I really need some help with this because it is eating away at me - here is the back story:

I began working for him last year and ever since the beginning I always had feelings for him. We are both married. It was everything I could do to try and hide my feelings. My job only required that I meet with him about once a week. I always looked forward to our meetings and I think he did too. When we would meet we barely talked about work but conversed about other things. He has such a great personality, he made me laugh, he made me feel good, reminded me that life isn't so serious, looked me square in the face and listened when I was talking, he appreciated me, he understood me, and I always felt there was nothing I couldn't talk to him about - except, of course, this. I noticed I started to look my best when I'd see him and so would he. I am in my early 30's and he is 14 years older than me and he is also very wealthy (he is very down to earth), and highly intelligent. I think we both admired each other.

A few months ago he promoted me in his company. This is a job I would have loved to have and I believe he tailored this job to what he knew I wanted (why do you think I like this guy??). We met one evening to discuss details of this job and the meeting felt more like a date - we laughed, talked, and stared at each other. The new job would have required me to work with him a little more closely and meet more often and speak on the phone often.

The situation began to frighten me because I was falling deeper for my boss with all the talk about the promotion, and I think he was too. Since we are both married I felt that I could no longer work in this situation because it was getting harder to hide emotion. I love my husband and I don't believe in cheating. So, one day I used a small issue within the company as an excuse to leave - it was abrupt and I know it looked completely off. I called him that day and said I was done (almost in tears). I offered a two week notice but he wouldn't take it.

I feel terrible because I think he feels at fault for this "small issue" that I really used as an excuse to leave. Its been 3 months or so and I'm still broken up about it.

What I want to know is, should I e-mail him and explain a little more about why I could no longer work for the company or should I just completely leave it alone? Did I do the right thing here?

I need some good advice.

I think he already knows the true reason for which you left... I don't think you need to contact him to explain. You did the right thing, pity for having to lose your dream job though.

Really? Does it sound like he knows? If that's true then I can just leave it alone.... yes, I am so sad about the job.

I second what searock said. I don't see why you should contact him to explain.

By the way, kudos for doing the right thing! I admire your integrity. And somehow question that of your former boss.

Well, he surely knows that you two had been flirting and sharing a "special emotional connection". He knows that you are both married, and he knows that you were about to step into dangerous waters, with the promotion and all. It doesn't take a genius to understand why you left. I'm sure he respects you even more, as disappointed as he may be.

Guybrush - thank you for that compliment. It was so hard but I made a promise when I got married. I too question his integrity and I guess I can use that to try and get over him.

Searock - you are so right