+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How important is it to get a "Good Morning" & "Good Night" text from your SO?

I dont' think its the same concept in the least.. although, when one can't call (as in your case) then its better then nothing. That's how I see texting ~ better than nothing and no point to it when one can actually do voice-to-voice.

We always have had a set time to call so that it didn't interupt either of our busy days at work.

Anyway... communication to find out what works for all is key, I suppose.

The problem is, is that with these youngins ....you are expected to be a frickin mind reader and know when to and what to text. This generation I tell ya......they NEED to get over it.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wakeup, there are different styles of communication and it's well known that not everyone responds to them equally. There is scientific evidence for this. Since you love to google, look up Learning Styles. I am very much a visual/written style learner, verbal is a lesser strength of mine. In person is best as I read body language well (visual), but that isn't always possible.

In my own case, both of us are rather accomplished writers. Our texts are rather romantic and thoughtful. We are also leaving a very nice (if digital) record of our courtship. 'Words spoken are like the wind, words written are forever' kind of thing. I have stacks of written letters from my ex and previous beaus.

Spoken calls, for me, are more for business. Short, and to the point. IMO, they are very trite and don't require much thought. Many find communication of emotions by writing a lot of effort. It's nice to find someone who can match that.

So, yes it really depends on the couple. I suspect NLB's communication style is more visual/written. Hopefully his GF is also, but may be in trouble if not.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Yep, I prefer written visual/written communication as well, and so does my bf. We both dislike talking on the phone, we only do it if we're forced to be away from each other for a long-ish amount of time (more than a couple of days) and even then, we prefer to videochat, so that we can actually see each other. Our phone calls (not video-calls) are actually pretty detached and awkward, so we only call each other if we have to communicate something urgently. On the other hand, some of our most intimate conversations have actually taken place via text and chat. Or in person: most of the times, we can understand what we are thinking/feeling just by looking at each other. So yeah, it really depends on the person.

My ex boyfriend was the opposite... he preferred verbal communication and constant physical contact. His texts were always matter-of-fact and unpoetic. We "literally" spoke different languages, it's probably the main reason it didn't work out.
    Last edited by searock; 04-02-13 at 01:58 AM.

I'd say your love language is Words of affirmation. (just going by ^^^ that).

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Personally, I think these kinds of requests are small and keep romance alive in a relationship. Really, you should just tell her it means a lot to you. It's only needy if you whinge about it. Just tell her. If it bothers her, consider that if she can't put the effort in for a short am/pm text, do you think she will put in the effort for other things? Especially when things start to get more routine.
    Absolutely true.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think the problem with phone for me is the lack of physical, contextual feedback. Tone of voice is such a small part of communication. It's frustrating to me to have the verbal input but not the physical, body language to gauge it by.

Though I will say that my communication medium moves quickly from a single email -> brief assessment call -> face meeting when dealing with a problem. Text is not suitable for anything where opinions start to differ.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    I'd say your love language is Words of affirmation. (just going by ^^^ that).
    You can get this in text or in person, though.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

You can get this in text or in person, though.
    You can, apparently.

You can, apparently.
    And the OP can't?

Wakeup, there are different styles of communication and it's well known that not everyone responds to them equally. There is scientific evidence for this. Since you love to google, look up Learning Styles. I am very much a visual/written style learner, verbal is a lesser strength of mine. In person is best as I read body language well (visual), but that isn't always possible.

In my own case, both of us are rather accomplished writers. Our texts are rather romantic and thoughtful. We are also leaving a very nice (if digital) record of our courtship. 'Words spoken are like the wind, words written are forever' kind of thing. I have stacks of written letters from my ex and previous beaus.

Spoken calls, for me, are more for business. Short, and to the point. IMO, they are very trite and don't require much thought. Many find communication of emotions by writing a lot of effort. It's nice to find someone who can match that.

So, yes it really depends on the couple. I suspect NLB's communication style is more visual/written. Hopefully his GF is also, but may be in trouble if not.
    I see your point. Wife and I exchange sweet (or naughty) lengthy-ish texts pretty often... but how well can you do that with 160 characters? Texting is still secondary to a phone call to me too, though I suspect in my case that it's more of a generational thing. The young 'uns are much more likely to text, and to take texts seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    The young 'uns are much more likely to text, and to take texts seriously.
    I think so too.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    I see your point. Wife and I exchange sweet (or naughty) lengthy-ish texts pretty often... but how well can you do that with 160 characters? Texting is still secondary to a phone call to me too, though I suspect in my case that it's more of a generational thing. The young 'uns are much more likely to text, and to take texts seriously.
    Agree.

Actually, the hubby has text from our bedroom to me in the livingroom for me to "come up and see the 'surprise' he has for me" which is always fun but most of our texts are: "call me when you're free to do so" or: "Can you bring home milk?"

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, I suppose he has started to call me in the early ams (when our schedules best overlap). So perhaps its just a natural progression and I'll have to learn to have phone calls that aren't 'just business'.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Agree.

Actually, the hubby has text from our bedroom to me in the livingroom for me to "come up and see the 'surprise' he has for me" which is always fun but most of our texts are: "call me when you're free to do so" or: "Can you bring home milk?"
    Well yeah... most of ours are like that too. Texted her last night that I wasn't buying steak to grill tonight, because we still have one in the freezer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast