+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is it to get a "Good Morning" & "Good Night" text from your SO?

How important is it to get a "Good Morning" & "Good Night" text from your SO?

If one night or morning goes missing without receiving a last thought or first thought upon waking up, is there much of a problem? Is there an obvious issue if it happens more often? What would you think?
    To be or not to be?

Is that the question?

Gwk is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    I love it when I get a good morning/night text from my boyfriend. But sometimes he falls asleep before he can send one or is late to work so he'll send one later or guess what? I will send one if he doesn't. It shouldn't be a major deal breaker but it is nice to get or send such texts. Let's the other person know they are on your mind.

I would think that getting a good morning and a good night text to be as annoying as hell. If you wanna say goodnight to me, then call and say goodnight. In the morning, I could do without the call or the text... but that's just me. If you're gonna be all angsty about differences in the amount of contact then just have a talk with her/him and figure out whats good for the two of you.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's nice; missing means they are probably busy. Instead of reading too much into it, why don't you just tell them how much you enjoy those am/pm texts? Get to the heart of the matter NLB.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

If I wasn't married, and was dating, I would say no to both unless goodnight was at the end of a conversation, or good morning followed by some chat. But for a random thing annoying.

personally I love good morning and good night txt, it's very sweet. but try not to say the same thing everyday, it get too ..."for the sake of sending a txt" if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    I would think that getting a good morning and a good night text to be as annoying as hell. If you wanna say goodnight to me, then call and say goodnight. In the morning, I could do without the call or the text... but that's just me. If you're gonna be all angsty about differences in the amount of contact then just have a talk with her/him and figure out whats good for the two of you.
    It's just you and your opinion matters to this thread. Most women that I meet are very bipolar and one day want the world and the other day they just want you to leave them alone. That's annoying to me. Isn't it that it's the thought that counts? Most women now don't appreciate the small things.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    It's nice; missing means they are probably busy. Instead of reading too much into it, why don't you just tell them how much you enjoy those am/pm texts? Get to the heart of the matter NLB.
    I would like too, but wouldn't that make me seem needy?
    Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    If I wasn't married, and was dating, I would say no to both unless goodnight was at the end of a conversation, or good morning followed by some chat. But for a random thing annoying.
    What if we were both busy and the first person to come home and sleep didn't do their part. I mean is it the Guy's job to text good night and good morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Andi112233 View Post
    personally I love good morning and good night txt, it's very sweet. but try not to say the same thing everyday, it get too ..."for the sake of sending a txt" if you know what I mean.
    I don't know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwk View Post
    I love it when I get a good morning/night text from my boyfriend. But sometimes he falls asleep before he can send one or is late to work so he'll send one later or guess what? I will send one if he doesn't. It shouldn't be a major deal breaker but it is nice to get or send such texts. Let's the other person know they are on your mind.
    I agree with this, I sometimes come home late after work and she won't wait up and just fall asleep. I send a text and no reply. So I just say goodnight. I know she wakes up first and no good morning text. Am I not on her mind? I don't want to look like I lack the confidence in the relationship because she won't text back but it makes me think that maybe I don't matter to her anymore when I put most of the effort.
    To be or not to be?

Is that the question?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Personally, I think these kinds of requests are small and keep romance alive in a relationship. Really, you should just tell her it means a lot to you. It's only needy if you whinge about it. Just tell her. If it bothers her, consider that if she can't put the effort in for a short am/pm text, do you think she will put in the effort for other things? Especially when things start to get more routine.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Lover Boy View Post
    I don't know what you mean.
    She means that it's not nice to just send "good morning" and "goodnight" without at least trying to make the texts a bit more interesting, otherwise it eventually becomes just another boring chore, rather than a sweet gesture.

I don't think it's either the guy's or the girl's "job" to send good morning/night texts. Whoever feels like sending one, sends one. It varies a lot from couple to couple.

For example, my last ex-boyfriend would text me before falling asleep and as soon as he woke up (I would do the same, we didn't really notice who sent the text first, it would depend on the day). My current boyfriend texts me before falling asleep, but not as soon as he wakes up: he likes to be "alone" as soon as he wakes up. I respect that and I know that it has absolutely no meaning in terms of how much he cares for me, so I'm not bothered by it.

If it's such a big issue to you, tell your girlfriend that you'd really appreciate it if she sent you good morning/night texts. If you're so afraid of sounding needy, to the point of not wanting to talk to her about your needs, even something as small as this... then you are insecure, and/or your relationship is unstable. You shouldn't be afraid of her leaving you / feeling smothered by you because of something as trivial as this.
    Last edited by searock; 04-02-13 at 12:58 AM.

What if we were both busy and the first person to come home and sleep didn't do their part. I mean is it the Guy's job to text good night and good morning?
    Everyone is different my dear, me I wouldn't fret over it. And no it's not the guy's job, nor is it anyone's job. I don't hear from you, I wouldn't take it personally....but that's just me.

I suspect you are dating girls in their early to mid 20's am I right? You will lose this argument every time with them. The majority (not all) of those girls are nothing but drama, and that is just what you have to put up with until they finally grow up.

It's just you and your opinion matters to this thread. Most women that I meet are very bipolar and one day want the world and the other day they just want you to leave them alone. That's annoying to me. Isn't it that it's the thought that counts? Most women now don't appreciate the small things.
    Why are you mostly picking bipolar women? Is it where you're hanging out? Is it that you are as well and there is a common denominator? (not said in malice)

Anyway "Isn't it the thought that counts" The "thought" only counts if the recipient appreciates it and if the one texting is wanting to. If one is sending you a good morning/good night just to keep you quiet, then is it really an honest "thought?"

This situation is something that you can come to some sort of compromise with. A simple... "lets talk about when to and the amount of texting so that we both can be satisfied"... should get the job done. If one or the other are unyielding, well then you either adjust your needs or you leave and find someone more intune with your wants.

Frankly and IMO: Texting a good night or good morning to me is superficial fluff and doesn't mean much. I had always looked forward to the first call of the day which is much more intimate.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wakeup, see my other post. Some people enjoy a sense of connection and romance. Some are more pragmatic. You sound terribly unromantic and, if that's working for you then great.

But yes, it's all about compatibility, as has already been said multiple times.

@ NLB - do what makes you happy and feels right for you.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Texting a good night or good morning to me is superficial fluff and doesn't mean much. I had always looked forward to the first call of the day which is much more intimate.
    This is probably because you see texting in general as a cold and detached type of communication. I for one prefer texting to talking on the phone, I don't think it's not intimate. Just a matter of personal tastes :-).

Yes... I read it. Not wanting to be texted, does not make me unromantic in general.

I was answering a quote directed to me.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ah, I see now. Of course you simply said you prefer a phone call. Same concept, IMO, different medium.

In my case, I get the am/pm text since my gentleman travels quite a lot and he's being respectful of my schedule (unscheduled calls can be difficult for me to take). It's a nice way to stay connected. Yes, it's the thought counts but thoughts are silent and too many relationships have died from "I never knew s/he felt that way".
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast