+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get over my interview nerves?

How can I get over my interview nerves?

Hey everyone

I would appreciate some advice please.

I am 23. I have some great qualifications and a lot of experience and I know I have a lot to offer any company. I work as a store manager 6 days a week and I am quite fed up and bored. Its not a great company to work for and I know I could be doing so much more but it pays the bills etc...

I really want to get into a good company 5days a week where I can work hard and try to climb the career ladder. I am confident and know if I get in with the right company I will shine and really reach my full potential.

The only thing that is holding me back though is my fear and anxiety of interviews. They make me so nervous and I hate it. I am never nervous in any other situation and it baffles me. I also dont really have time to do interviews as I work 6days mon-sat.

I am also afraid that I will find it hard to readjust to a new job because right now I am so fed up, bored, under challenged, tired all the time and even depressed some days. I am afraid this will carry over into a new job. I dont have to get up most mornings until after 9 because I dont start work until 10:30 but when I start a new job, I will have to learn how to get up at 7 again and I am afraid ill end up being late and blow it. 2 and a half years of this crappy good for nothing dead end piece of s**t job has really done my head in. I have too much time to think and the exhaustion of just thinking is driving me insane.

Sorry I know this has turned into a rant, I am just so fed up. I should have my career sorted by now and I should not have to worry about money and I should be enjoying my weekends etc. It just gets to me how everything has worked out like this since this stupid recession started. I feel like I am being pulled in ten different directions to try and get my life on track. I try to stay positive, I do everything I can to boost my CV by taking on more responsibility and doing night classes but what I really want is change!

I just feel sick and dizzy thinking about interviews. Help!

My life in every other way is great. Nice house, the best bf in the world, a lovely little dog, great family and friends etc but I have always been ambitious, hard working, focused and driven. I just feel like I cant catch a break

For what it's worth, when you say "the only thing holding me back is my fear", you're absolutely right.

I have interviewed about 20 people in the past week alone. They all have the same qualifications, more or less. The only way one of them stands out is the way they present themselves.

Also, the black and white Word doc resumé has really got to go. It's disgusting, and when every resumé looks the same, they're impossible to actually read.

If you're mudane, 6 day a week existance isn't enough to motivate you, then see you at the store when you're 40...

I find that interviews should be just like your talking to a friend, if you think of them as someone that you know, it'll flow a lot easier, then trying to present yourself as though your trying to convince them to hire you.

You need to stop over thinking the situation, and just let it come naturally, to what is asked of you.
    Take breaks if you need too, just have water near by, so you can take a drink, which should calm you down a little.
    Stay positive, stop thinking about not getting the job, and just be yourself, people can see if your nervous.

I did an interview today, and it just naturally flowed, because that is how i felt at the moment with my answers, that i didn't have to fear, if i gave something that they didn't want, because i reminded myself of how i am in a working environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromat83 View Post
    You need to stop over thinking the situation, and just let it come naturally, to what is asked of you.
    Take breaks if you need too, just have water near by, so you can take a drink, which should calm you down a little.
    Stay positive, stop thinking about not getting the job, and just be yourself, people can see if your nervous.
    I had a guy come in as "himself" last week, jeans, unbuttoned shirt, and a hat on a little sideways with a flat brim. Nice guy, easy to talk to, didn't overthink anything, quite positive and flowed well. I then did another handful of interviews with a well-dressed guys, nervous but prepared, clearly rehearsed answers, but were able to answer wild-card questions fairly well.

One of the prepared guys got the job, don't "be yourself", be the person the interviewer wants you to be, and be good at it. I don't care who you are, if you come in looking like shit and aren't prepared, you could be a f*cking genius and I still won't hire you. This is bad advice. Know the role you're applying for, and be ready for questions pertaining to it. Everyone is nervous at an interview, and that is fine, present yourself like the professional the job warrants and THEN you'll be fine. Also, do not ask for a break in the middle of the interview, it shows you don't handle stress well.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Thanks Cerby. I am very prepared. I just don't want to come across as a shy, insecure little girl because I'm not. In every other situation, I am confident, strong, intelligent, independent etc. I can literally handle anything. I Love working under pressure. I need a challenge. I need my brain stimulated so I don't die of boredom. I just need them to see it for ten minutes so I can get my foot in the door and prove it.

I'll just have to keep trying until I succeed

I hate job interviews. All those stupid questions lilke why do you want the job? Because you'll give me money.
    And list your weaknesses? I'd love to hear people answer honestly on this one.

In a shite job. Good luck. With overpopulation and peak oil it's not going to get any better. Me, I'm buying AK47s and barbed wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromat83 View Post
    I find that interviews should be just like your talking to a friend, if you think of them as someone that you know, it'll flow a lot easier, then trying to present yourself as though your trying to convince them to hire you.
    This is great advice. Think of your interviewer as a co-worker or a schoolmate who are you are sharing ideas, thoughts and opinions with. Always remember an interview is two-way. It is not only for the hiring company to know whether you are a good fit for them but also for you to know whether the company is a good fit for you.

Be confident. And whatever happens, don't take the interview results personally. It happens for a reason. Try and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by fourleaves View Post
    This is great advice. Think of your interviewer as a co-worker or a schoolmate who are you are sharing ideas, thoughts and opinions with...
    Excellent advice for that career at McDonalds. Any job that requires a professional will want a professional interview, this includes corporate jobs, skilled trades jobs, and pretty much any job that pays you more than $20/hr. As the interviewer I always ask things like "How was your weekend?" or "How about the Canucks last night?" To ease some anxiety, but once I get into my required questions, it is all business. That person isn't my buddy, or my co-worker or schoolmate. They are a potential subordinate who will be doing as I ask, without question, daily. I need to get that feel from them. I don't want a friend at work, I want a worker.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

thanks guys for all your replies. i no im fairly fussy and i will have a ton of questions ready for them at the end like:

1/. what opprtunities for growth do you have for people who show potential?
    2/. i want a career that will open all sorts of doors for me, a company that will utilize my skills and push me to achieve my full potential. do you offer performance appraisals, further training for people who want to move up?
    3. i dont just do the job im paid to do. i am willing to go the extra mile but i need to know that will be rewarded at some point in the future with more responsibility.
    4. i get bored easily. i need a challenge and mental stimulation. will i be challenged and stimulated every day?
    5. i am quite driven and ambitious but i like being part of a team environment i work very well on my own but i do prefer working as part of a team. what type of culture does your company have?

if im not satisfied with those answers-i will turn down the job

Being yourself, as in know what is being asked of you.
    I know you can't treat most co-workers as friends, but think of it as practice with a friend, so you don't think too much about it and get nervous.
    We over-analyze the questions, instead of just how we feel.
    We talk to others better the more we know them, so just answer them truthfully.
    They are looking for people with qualifications and that can think of an answer almost instantly.

Well responding directly to the thread's title...

I have been taking a public speaking course in university, as well as critical thinking, because one of my ambitions is to possibly become a football ( european) coach, and you really need to be good at these things, and i have learned something from my public speaking course that goes quite unnoticed sometimes.

It is very important to plan ahead and know what you are doing ahead of time...

Some people take pride in winging speeches and other things, but this if anything is not beneficial, because you can learn so much about your self and help your self if you make an outline of what you are going to do...

Like howard stern ( king of all media ) once said, some people care so much about winging stuff, and showing off that they can do things without practice, that they could be illiterate and be proud about the fact that they can live a life without being able to read ( fueled by the arrogance behind it all or whatever it might be).

So before an interview, dont just take a few "common sense" points and try to go out there and be mr or mrs confident trying to look like a hot shot.

In the public speaking class last week i got applause and recognition from the professor for turning in a great outline where i had placed what i was going to say including my attention getter, my intro explaining what i was going to say, formulating an entertaining and informative speech, pointing out when i was going to say a rehearsed joke, when and how i was going to expose evidence, and when and how i was going to finish it with a memorable finale...

And with a bit of confidence and practice it was perfect all around and now i see peers copying some of what i brought in and that just means they are taking notice and i have to keep upping my game to be the best i can be...

So being prepared helps for what you will do. As obvious as it may sound. If you know what you are going to say before you say it, it may get alot of the nerves that pop up during stressful situations and help you treat them in a more helpful way.

You can prepare in the same way when it comes to interviews, and of course there might be other reasons for your overall distaste but this will most likely help.
    Last edited by whatname; 12-03-13 at 07:27 AM.

remember that you are talking to people, not Hitler or Kim Jong Il.

Hello everyone,
    I read all of your advices and doubts, i share all of them like all of you..
    I found very interesting some practical exercise to do to build my self confidence enough to attend an interview and impress my future bosses, to make a presentation in front of important people, to meet my partner's family etc.
    it's useful to everyone for sooo many occasions! you can find these exercises and tips here: idlovetodothat.com/media-gallery/mediaitem/90-personal-development-how-to-walk-into-a-room-and-own-it-idlovetodothat-com

i hope it helps!
    all the best
    ilenia
    idlovetodothat.com
    ------------------------
    "Take charge of your life today"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast