+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Really appreciate some advice please:

Really appreciate some advice please:

Hey everyone

This is not a love question. I posted it somewhere else on this site but its not a very popular part of the site and could really use some advice.

I am 23. I have some great qualifications and a lot of experience and I know I have a lot to offer any company. I work as a store manager 6 days a week and I am quite fed up and bored. Its not a great company to work for and I know I could be doing so much more but it pays the bills etc...

I really want to get into a good company 5days a week where I can work hard and try to climb the career ladder. I am confident and know if I get in with the right company I will shine and really reach my full potential.

The only thing that is holding me back though is my fear and anxiety of interviews. They make me so nervous and I hate it. I am never nervous in any other situation and it baffles me. I also dont really have time to do interviews as I work 6days mon-sat.

I am also afraid that I will find it hard to readjust to a new job because right now I am so fed up, bored, under challenged, tired all the time and even depressed some days. I am afraid this will carry over into a new job. I dont have to get up most mornings until after 9 because I dont start work until 10:30 but when I start a new job, I will have to learn how to get up at 7 again and I am afraid ill end up being late and blow it. 2 and a half years of this crappy good for nothing dead end piece of s**t job has really done my head in. I have too much time to think and the exhaustion of just thinking is driving me insane.

Sorry I know this has turned into a rant, I am just so fed up. I should have my career sorted by now and I should not have to worry about money and I should be enjoying my weekends etc. It just gets to me how everything has worked out like this since this stupid recession started. I feel like I am being pulled in ten different directions to try and get my life on track. I try to stay positive, I do everything I can to boost my CV by taking on more responsibility and doing night classes but what I really want is change!

I just feel sick and dizzy thinking about interviews. Help!

My life in every other way is great. Nice house, the best bf in the world, a lovely little dog, great family and friends etc but I have always been ambitious, hard working, focused and driven. I just feel like I cant catch a break

Anyone got some advice?

Go on a lot of interviews. That's the best way. It's easy for me to say, since there always a lot of available jobs in my field, and I don't know what industry you're in, but the more practice you get, the better. Get comfortable talking about yourself in front of people you don't know. Typically you will get a pretty detailed job description before an interview, so research and be able to speak to what they are looking for. You might want to try talking to a staffing agency or a temp agency.

Thanks. I know when i practice on my own, it comes naturally to me. I have great commjnication skills and can answer any question. It just terrifies me that i wont come across as confident when i get in there as the nerves take over. Ill just have to keep practicing

Grow some balls?

if you never get over the fear of the interview how are you ever gonna move up and get a career? they can be a little nervewracking but it shouldn't bother you to the point that you absolutely can't go on them. do you have anxiety? maybe something like Xanex or an anxiety medication could help you calm down a little bit? I think most people get nervous before big things like that but there's really no way to change your life and get a job if you can't go on an interview

If I can get hired after an interview when I'm covered in tattoos (hands, neck, everywhere else) then you should do fine. It's obvious to act as natural and yourself as possible during said interview but if you get a new, better job think of how much better off you'll, I'd imagine most interviewers expect most interviewees to be nervous.

Also keep in mind that if you start a new job, it'll be a new start, new you, you I don't think your depression would carry over. You'll feel excited to not only have accomplished landing new said job but also new environment etc.

Good luck.

if I am your bestfriend, I will set you up over and over again in a dummy job interview.

Advice? This is a forum about relationships, not jobhunting.

i think all these are things are fake ... no one is sincere

How can you committ to a high flying career if you can't manage an interview? An interview will be the least of your worries when a stressful job takes over. If you crap yourself before an interview how are you going to manage a heavy workload?? Sorry just being honest.

Lol...I think all of us have worked a job like that. And the worst feeling is being bored on a job - it's better to barely walk from exhaustion than to be bored in my oppinion.

Though I don't believe in fearing. Physiologically speaking supposedly fear is there to help you, not to hurt you - it's purpose is to prevent you from getting hurt, and if you see it's not doing it's job right, you need to tell it, "You are not doing your job right, fear" and stop worrying.
    Last edited by toknow; 12-02-13 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks to those of you who gave me some constructive advice, I really appreciate it.
    Its just a lack of experience doing interviews and to EEDEE-no I will not fall apart once I get the job-I will work my ass off. I am 100% confident in my ability-just need to get in the door first.

Plus the types of jobs I am applying for are BIG with fantastic companies as I am not getting stuck in another rut again-hence the nerves. When you want something badly-the nerves can take over. Ill just have to get over it and go for it

Thanks guys