+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey guys! Rate this girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    everyone apparently is a primitive human in high school.
    Compared to people who have loved and lost, had kids, jobs, ect......yeah. Primitive maybe not the best word but unknowing would be a good fit

Your only relationship was when you were 15? What are you waiting for bro? You'll be dead soon.....live the life before that happens
    Last edited by surfhb2; 17-02-13 at 02:28 PM.

ROFL.

High school is real. Serious shit happens in high school, same as the adult world.
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

same as the adult world.
    For example? Ive been in both worlds and couldn't disagree more
    Last edited by surfhb2; 17-02-13 at 02:36 PM.

Yeah, it's not like anyone gets abused, raped, killed, injured or bullied in high school. It's a totally innocent time with magical elves and fairies!
    Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Yeah, it's not like anyone gets abused, raped, killed, injured or bullied in high school. It's a totally innocent time with magical elves and fairies!
    LOL.....anyway, the chick is a 7

dickriculous, nobody says "That guy is an 8" when rating that guy's intelligence. They say, "That guy is intelligent". I would expect the same thing with attractiveness: "That guy is attractive". Not "That guy is a number". I just think the latter is offensive and objectifying - besides, I personally wouldn't even know how to do it: how can you assign a specific number to a person without even knowing them? At most, I can tell you whether I'd sleep with them or not, based solely on looks.

What Vashti mentioned is the thing I resonate with the most: NOT rating people on a "universal" scale (which doesn't exist), instead recognizing the people you'd f*ck versus the ones you wouldn't. As she mentioned, not all the f*ckable guys were super-attractive (according to standard beauty canons), and there were unf*ckable guys who adhered to such beauty canons, but were still deemed unf*ckable. This is what I think best represents how the human mind actually works, when it comes to choosing a sexual partner.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I would expect the same thing with attractiveness: "That guy is attractive". Not "That guy is a number". I just think the latter is offensive and objectifying - besides, I personally wouldn't even know how to do it: how can you assign a specific number to a person without even knowing them?

It's a guy thing....don't try to understand

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I would expect the same thing with attractiveness: "That guy is attractive". Not "That guy is a number". I just think the latter is offensive and objectifying - besides, I personally wouldn't even know how to do it: how can you assign a specific number to a person without even knowing them?

Quote Originally Posted by surfhb2 View Post
    Nah, I don't buy it.

Its just for fun, nobody is rating girls like that in everyday life unless its their GF(or some other special girl) than shes 10 of course. I personaly gave her 6 points (1 would be if best you can say about girl is that shes a girl and 5 would be neutral and 10 would be "thats my girl".)

Actually there is a whole science devoted to rating. It is called statistics. The measure of intelligence is called IQ. The measure for healthy weight is called BMI. The study of ratings of subjective data (such as opinion) is called qualitative analysis. This is used in marketing and advertising. Someone could extrapolate the data collected from a survey such as this and say that 10 men on XYZ forum consider this girl averages a 6.5. The human brain, males in particular, specializes in collecting, sorting, and interpreting data. It is how we survive as species and it is has been our primary defense mechanism since we lack claws, sharp teeth, venom, etc. A pre-historic man would have rated a competitor in his mind and determined his odds of survival if he were to challenge it. Those who were good survived. Those who were bad were extinguished.

Probably those who are offended by the ratings system are those who THINK they would score below average. Unfortunately, it is a fact of life and you are being rated almost constantly. Your writing and typing is being rated on this forum. The quality of your advice is being rated and measured. So what? If you think your ratings are below average in some measure, work to improve it. Sitting around and criticizing others for rating is useless and counterproductive.

Oh come on, obviously I was talking about common speech, not actual IQ measurements. You'll never hear someone say "That guy is an 8" and know that they're talking about his intelligence. *eyeroll* It's one thing to say "That girl is very attractive" and another to say "She's an 8". By using the latter sentence, you're implying that ALL THAT GIRL IS is her appearance. See the objectifying part right here?

And as I said, I can totally understand doing something like Vashti mentioned, i.e. deciding whether you'd sleep with a guy or not based just on first impression. That's normal, everyone does it, it's just human nature. But actually reducing a person to JUST their looks is offensive and objectifying, AND pointless/impossible to determine accurately.
    Last edited by searock; 17-02-13 at 09:56 PM.

Obviously not. You can see that the ratings are between 6 and 8, which is within a 20% range. So you can take the mean, median and mode of the data and determine there is significant accuracy to the ratings, being that they all come out to around 7. According to statistics that shows an accurate ratings spread. Like I said before, I think males are better at taking quick, accurate appraisals. Women are better at social skills, so they would be repelled by the very nature of rating because it implies hierarchy.

As to objectifying, I think it is clear that we are only talking about her appearance because we have nothing else to base a rating on. It is understood that knowing the girl or conversing with her could significantly alter the perception and the rating. So yes, it is probably correct that she is being objectified because there is no other data to personify her. We don't know the girl, and you don't either. She could be an axe murderer. We are only talking about her looks here, and for that an opinionated rating is feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by dem862 View Post
    So yes, it is probably correct that she is being objectified because there is no other data to personify her.
    And this^^^ is exactly what I find offensive, as I've said several times. "That girl's appearance is an 8" would be acceptable (although it is to be implied that it's an 8 according to one's own personal scale), NOT "That girl is an 8". The difference is in the words/phrasing, and it's a hell of a difference.

The fact that the votes are between 6 and 8 just means that our (users of this forum) standard beauty canons are the same: we all are subjected to advertising, movies and TV shows that communicate to us a certain beauty standard. So what a guy is stating when he numerically rates a girl is actually how close to the accepted beauty standards her appearance is. Determining whether a guy is actually sexually attracted to that girl is a different story.

My bf does not tell me what "i want to hear" if he said he does rate women out of ten, i would not make a big deeal out of it. I wanted an honest answer so i can back up what im saying here.

And i do think its an american thing cz i never heard of anyone doing that here where im from

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast