+ Follow This Topic
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey guys! Rate this girl!

And i dont find it offensive because i think i would rate below average lol. I dont give a crap what my rating would be. I am happy with who i am and how i look which is why i dont judge others based on thei looks. Only insecure shallow people think looks are that important.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    And i do think its an american thing cz i never heard of anyone doing that here where im from
    Same here, apart from a few immature high school kids. Grown-ups just say things like "wow, she's hot" or similar, and if a woman isn't attractive to them they don't say anything unless explicitly asked.

Quote Originally Posted by dickriculous View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion, but when those opinions dehumanize others with extreme shaming and rabid hate-spewing over small matters, people are going to call you out on it.

How is my opinion hate spewing and shaming? I simply said it is cruel to sneer at someone and laughwith your friends while rating someone you dont know from across the street and if you like a girl and want to ask her out why would you ask someone else for their approval. It is immature, pointless and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    And this^^^ is exactly what I find offensive, as I've said several times. "That girl's appearance is an 8" would be acceptable (although it is to be implied that it's an 8 according to one's own personal scale), NOT "That girl is an 8". The difference is in the words/phrasing, and it's a hell of a difference.
    Your semantical objection is duly noted and considered. Like I said before, the ratings OBVIOUSLY refer to her appearance. What other data do we have to rate?

The fact that the votes are between 6 and 8 just means that our (users of this forum) standard beauty canons are the same: we all are subjected to advertising, movies and TV shows that communicate to us a certain beauty standard. So what a guy is stating when he numerically rates a girl is actually how close to the accepted beauty standards her appearance is. Determining whether a guy is actually sexually attracted to that girl is a different story.
    I don't think you have sufficient information to determine this. Not everyone has given an explicit analysis of what aspect of appearance his or her rating was based on. You are making an assumption. I freely admit that what I consider beautiful is diffferent from what the media represents. For example, someone noted lower ratings because of her paunch. That didn't bother me. What I considered was her facial features. I also didn't value her taste in fashion. There is a significant portion of men that like women with big asses. Which is definitely not what the media presents as beautiful.

You are assuming that all men are slaves to media and peer pressure. This is what women tend to do. You are looking at this from a sexocentric point of view. A man knows what he likes and doesn't give a crap what everyone else likes. Your entire premise is false. Once again I refer to the accepted measures of statistical validity that show the ratings here are accurate and surprisingly precise given the cultural diversity of this forum.

OP, is the girl aware that you published her photo and ask random strangers to rate her online?

Is it just me being a prude, or is that a bit juvenile and insensitive?

I know that my fellow posters are already debating the practice of rating people, but I am more curious about whether the girl is aware that you are posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by dem862 View Post
    Your semantical objection is duly noted and considered. Like I said before, the ratings OBVIOUSLY refer to her appearance. What other data do we have to rate?
    Then don't say "that girl is a 7", say "that girl's appearance is a 7", or at least imply it. Most of the guys who say stuff like that actually mean exactly what they say (at least in my experience, the high school kids I mentioned above).

There is a significant portion of men that like women with big asses. Which is definitely not what the media presents as beautiful.
    Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé... I'm sure there are others. It may not be the standard, but it's commonly accepted as "hot".

You are assuming that all men are slaves to media and peer pressure.
    WTH? I am NOT assuming that. I've actually said several times that it's only the immature/insecure guys who numerically rate women with their friends. Obviously such guys would be more prone than others to be "slaves" to media and peer pressure - just as immature/insecure girls are. Most of the guys I know just don't do it (read my previous post).

I've also said more than once that the reason I think numerically rating a person based just on looks is pointless is that you cannot possibly know whether you're actually sexually attracted to someone until you've at least seen/heard them interact with someone else: you need to see how they move, talk, smell, and so on. When you rate someone based JUST on looks (as in the case of a picture), you're rating how close to beauty standards that person is, because you have no other data.

Once again I refer to the accepted measures of statistical validity that show the ratings here are accurate and surprisingly precise given the cultural diversity of this forum.
    Cultural diversity that isn't so diverse when you consider that we all have an Internet connection, therefore we are all subjected to pretty much the same media environment (as well as other stuff that we are subjected to offline, and that may be diverse of course).
    Last edited by searock; 17-02-13 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    And i do think its an american thing cz i never heard of anyone doing that here where im from

Actually, the majority of those who rated her are not American, so you are wrong. Just because they don't do it in Ireland, doesn't make it am American thing.

People here are doing it because they've been explicitly asked to.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1984 View Post
    lol, Michelle, I find it funny how your bf tells you anything you want to hear, but when he is with his boys, he is a completely different guy.. for eg...

michelle's bf " yo guys, guess what Michelle asked me today ?"

friend "What dude!.."

michelle's bf" She asked if i rate girls with numbers... haha."

friend" what did you say "

michelle's bf " i said no bro.. then i saw this chick on tv and gave her a 7"

friend " haha sick..

michelle's bf" ya guy, what was she expecting me to say.. yes.

see, my wife knows how I am with my boys, and she sometimes wants to join as well.. we watch a move and she would ask me if I'd do her.. and then i tell her yes or no, and why and so on.. she asks, what makes her do able ect.. and i do the same.. She sure loves her Clive Owen and Jason Stateham hahah..

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Rob stop giving guy secrets away! ah well she wouldn't believe it anyways.

I've also said more than once that the reason I think numerically rating a person based just on looks is pointless is that you cannot possibly know whether you're actually sexually attracted to someone until you've at least seen/heard them interact with someone else: you need to see how they move, talk, smell, and so on. When you rate someone based JUST on looks (as in the case of a picture), you're rating how close to beauty standards that person is, because you have no other data.
    The OP didn't ask us to rate sexual attraction. He asked us to rate the girl. For those who are familiar with the rating system of women (RSW), it's common knowledge the rating applies to appearance only. It is also common knowledge that most horny guys will be sexually attracted to almost any woman who has a vagina. So that a rating for sexual attraction would be pointless. Furthermore, appearance and sexual attraction are not even related because you could just put a paper bag over her head or do her doggie style.
    Last edited by dem862; 17-02-13 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dem862 View Post
    The OP didn't ask us to rate sexual attraction. He asked us to rate the girl. For those who are familiar with the rating system of women (RSW), it's common knowledge the rating applies to appearance only.
    Again, this^ is what I find offensive. The fact that by "rate this person" one actually means "rate this person's appearance". It's objectifying and pointless, IMO. Even more so if it were true that appearance and sexual attractiveness weren't related (which they are):

It is also common knowledge that most horny guys will be sexually attracted to almost any woman who has a vagina. So that a rating for sexual attraction would be pointless. Furthermore, appearance and sexual attraction and not even related because you could just put a paper bag over her head or do her doggie style.
    Even horny guys are more sexually attracted to a woman whose appearance they like rather than a woman whose appearance they don't like. They aren't the same thing (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have said that you need to interact with a person to know whether you're sexually attracted to them), but they are certainly related.

If it were true, as you say, that when guys numerically rate a woman they rate ONLY her appearance and NOT how sexually attracted they are to her, then explain why they cheer and whistle and say horny stuff when they see a woman whose "appearance" they like... and why they don't do it when rating a painting whose appearance they like. Lol.
    Last edited by searock; 17-02-13 at 11:58 PM.

Lmfao. Its funny how people tar everyone with the same brush. Just bc rob treats his wife like that-does not mean all men do..

Thats like a cheat believing everyone else is a cheat too or a compulsive liar believing that the rest of the world lie compulsively too. Delusional is the word that comes to mind.

Michelles bf here: all i can say is the last time i played a ****ed up rating game-i was about 13. Some of us have more respect for women. Dont know why michelle even goes on this site haha

Even horny guys are more sexually attracted to a woman whose appearance they like rather than a woman whose appearance they don't like. They aren't the same thing (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have said that you need to interact with a person to know whether you're sexually attracted to them), but they are certainly related.
    So how many times have you been a horny guy, so that you would be qualified to speak with authority on the subject?

I edited my previous post:

If it were true, as you say, that when guys numerically rate a woman they rate ONLY her appearance and NOT how sexually attracted they are to her, then explain why they cheer and whistle and say horny stuff when they see a woman whose "appearance" they like... and why they don't do it when rating a painting whose appearance they like.
    I don't need to be a horny guy in order to understand basic human behaviors and sexual attraction.

I hear my husband use it to rate someone he saw on the job site, or a co-worker's GF. It doesn't bother me in the least because I know that is how guys are....what am I going to do? Step up on a soap box and cry about how wrong it is? no because they will keep doing it anyways and it's not hurting anyone. Guns hurt people not number rating.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast