+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here met their bf/gf through an online dating service?

Who here met their bf/gf through an online dating service?

I met my bf of 1.5 years (and still going very strong!) through a very popluar online dating service. I am just curious to see how many people have met their sig other in this manner. I have heard quite a few people stay away from these methods of finding new people simply because they're scared...but I have also heard of other stories of great relationships/marriages starting from chats and would like some opinions.

I stay away as far from this kind of stuff as POSSIBLE.

But, I have heard about alot of succesful relationships formed this way. (EX: My gf's parents)

Ok, but can you tell me why you stay away?

Quote Originally Posted by COAD
    I stay away as far from this kind of stuff as POSSIBLE.

But, I have heard about alot of succesful relationships formed this way. (EX: My gf's parents)

Quote Originally Posted by updraft
    There are nice people like you and then there are nut jobs.
    How many times people ask you to cyber on these things? I'm sorry no thank you.

Once I decided to try and talk with these girl (I hope it was really a girl) that asked me to do it, I told her no and tried to find out what the hell caused her to take that up... man, really really harsh messed up life she had.

I'm not a therapist, I'd love to help but what she told me... it was emotionally hard even on me, and I dont know her. I cant fix her. I did try, but its too much.

Dont get me wrong you guys, I realize there are alot of dishonest, nasty people on dating sites, I just wanted some opinions on this and if it worked out for others...

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well,.. i met my ex through the internet.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by updraft
    Because i really cant trust the internet to find me a date, i mean come on

But biggest reason, if it ends up as a long distance relationship - i just cant handle those.

My interest is someone I met online, although not through a dating service.

I don't think it matters where you find your significant other... all that matters is the connection, really. Most people AREN'T okay with internet stuff. If you ask most people for advice about a situation with an online interest, they'll say to drop it. The thing about this stuff is that you can't listen to many people. You have to be very selective in who you talk to... because very few people can give you good advice.

Stupid prejudices...
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

I met Chris online...
    As a matter of fact I've met a few people online... only one ended up being a nut job...
    Ok he wasnt a nut job, but at the time he claimed to be a 19 year old stud, when I picked him up he was a 15 year old fat boy.
    ~Sarah~

gdamn :/

Well I've got a friend who met his gf on the internet.
    She lived in VS and he lives in the UK.
    She moved in with him a couple of month's back.
    Still going strong so
    Hoping it stays that way.

My opinion is .. doesn't matter where u find ur sig. other , as long as ur both happy.
    Although i'm not that into long distance relationships ... only a few last forever

Thats whats so odd about Chris and I. At the time I lived in Gainesville in some apartments and he coincidentally lived in the apartments across from mine. Neither one of us had any idea
    ~Sarah~

I met my current gf online. We spoke only a few times and she was boring. Then one day I dunno what happened we talked for hours then spoke on the phone, then she called me a few times. She was goin through some real rough times and I told her to come spend a few days with me and she did. She lived on the west coast of FL and Im on the east she took a Grey Hound here. We hungout, then started to know each other but it wasnt working out as far a relationship only friends. We went to NC to see my fam for Christmas came back and we started our realtionship. Very weird but its working out very well.
    If a man says something in the woods and there are no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

I just read an article in the paper 2 days ago talking about online dating for the Armenian community and how successful it is. I think these types of services are very popular for people who wish to date people with same ethnic/religious background. My best friend in a Jewish girl living in New York, and she says this is pretty much the only way Jews date back east. I can see the appeal: it makes the awkward moment of approaching someone (not even knowing if they are available) less awkward since virtually everyone signed up is looking for a partner.

That being said, I don't know that I would do it for myself. It seems a little bit like one is marketing themself - perhaps that is okay for others, but not something I'd care to do.

I met my current g/f from "Hot or Not"...though I wasn't totally convinced by her at first. We talked for months via email which eventually progressed to phone calls. Now, we regularly visit each other

However, the problem with dating online…it's very easy to make someone into something their not... Perhaps they lie to you or you simply get the wrong impression of them. Either way, meeting them might turn out to be a big surprise!

I think this happens a lot in real life though, think about all the students who sleep together (perhaps after meeting drunken in clubs). Most simply assume their now a 'couple'...it's a big risk when you hardly know someone. I've seen this happen a lot at university!

I met my current bf online and I met my last bf online. The only reason I started looking online was the fact that I was just starting in technical school and I didn't know anyone. I've met, maybe, 4 people online total. One didn't work out and One became a good friend of mine.

I met my first bf from the internet on "Hot or Not" (Recently I became a Mod on there) and I met my current bf on "Campus Kiss" (the site was free originally, now its a pay site).

Yeah, there are alot of nutjobs out there. Whenever someone asked me something too personal or asked to cyber, I blocked them immediatly. Once you sort through the crazy's, you can actually find some really nice and caring people.

Evil School!!
    May not be on LF as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.
    Blame College and Homework for Everything!!
    -Fawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast