+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Which birth control is best

Which birth control is best

Does any of you women know about birth control or the pros and cons of certain ones? I was on the pill not too long ago but sometimes I dont take them like I am supposed to so I think Im going to try something else.

A few of my friends is on the Depo shot but Im concerned about that one because I heard lots of women say they gain weight and I heard the Mirena works best if you already have given birth which I havent before.

I know I can ask my Gyno but I want some personal experiences from different people if you can help.

The bar in your arm or the patch?

There is no evidence to suggest that any birth control will make you put on weight. It is trial and error. You need to find one that suits you personally. Its irrelevant what side effects they have on others. It may be the opposite with you

I was on diannet (the pill) and it was perfect for me. I have oily skin and used to get pimples on my chin regularly especially during my period but that pill really suited me and cleared up my skin. It also made my periods much lighter and I didn't put on any weight.

They recommend that you dont stay on any particular birth control for too long as over time it can lower your sex drive. Id say max 3 years-then use condoms for 6months and try something else for another 3 years etc..

I've gained 20 lbs in the three months I was on the Depo Shot, and I also couldn't have sex. My sex drive was non-existent and I was bleeding for 8 weeks. So you can see that the birth control worked really well. But those were my only symptoms. I also would cry easily and my hair was super oily. Some women experience brain fog and I definitely had that! I had to take an incomplete in one of my classes cause my focus was not there! At least my teacher understood since she had the same thing happen to her.

I was on Mirena before that, but I ended up in the ER after a week due to severe pelvic inflammation. I was sent home with vicodin and my gyno removed it for me the next Monday.

After those two I tried the sponge. After the second time using it my vagina was swollen shut. I had to go to my gyno's office at 6:00 p.m. in order to get it removed. My sponge was full of blood when they removed it too. I was flushed out with saline solution and order to apply cream and powder on my labia in order to absorb the spermicide since I'm allergic to it. Because of the flushing I ended up with a UTI.

A month later with just using condoms I got pregnant from seminal fluid. My boyfriend was only home twice a month so the odds of me getting pregnant were very slim. I lost it at 6 weeks on my birthday when he couldn't come home for 10 more days.

Everyone's body is different so talk to your gyno. Also, if you have a smartphone I suggest using the Period Tracker app. I've used that since the miscarriage and I know when to say "no" when I'm ovulating.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/period-tracker-lite/id330376830?mt=8

Quote Originally Posted by kotono View Post
    Everyone's body is different so talk to your gyno. Also, if you have a smartphone I suggest using the Period Tracker app. I've used that since the miscarriage and I know when to say "no" when I'm ovulating.
    That's gotta be rough. My wife smells amazing when she's ovulating and I can't keep my hands off her.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    That's gotta be rough. My wife smells amazing when she's ovulating and I can't keep my hands off her.
    lol Ive noticed since I came off the pill-both our sex drives went through the roof lol Crazy hormones! haha

I also put on a load of weight with the Depo shot and I had continual spotting. Tried Mirena coil but unexpected bleeding was still a problem for me. Tried a diaphram but my partner could sometimes feel the rim of it if we were in more (ahem) unusual positions. The pill is def my best option.

What about linking your pill taking to something you do every morning? Such as when you make a coffee or brush your teeth. That's what worked for me.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I used the depo a few years back and it worked well. I loved not having a period. I didnt gain any significant weight either. I am currently on the mirena which will be my fifth year later on this year. Im not sure if Im going to keep it or just do away with it. The mirena was fine at the beginning. I had some spotting but not a full period. Now, its strange. Im not sure if this is because im at the five year mark or what. I dont cramp or anything but lately after sex, I spot and if he really deep all in this (for lack of better terms) I will bleed for a day or two and I dont like that at all. Sometimes he say he can feel it when hes deep. I dont like that either. It made me tired a few times but it worked well for me. Like i said im not sure if its doing this now because its at the five year mark or what but I dont like it so Idk what Im going to do about my contraceptives after this.

I know this one chic got thicker and thicker on the depo, she liked it because she had the ass and the titts, like a nice figure, now she bout big as a damn house. Smh. She been on it for years.

I'm on a generic form of ortho tri cyclen (I think the full name is norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol something) but I haven't had any side effects, other than my boobs getting a bit bigger haha. still have a high sex drive, haven't gained weight, no issues with my skin or anything. I think it is just a really low dose of hormones so it isn't as bad as a lot of the other ones

also I use an app called "my pill" and you choose when you want to take it every day, then you set it so that at that time it goes off and reminds you. I haven't had any problems forgetting it so far

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Yeah, it has been rough a few times but my boyfriend really is afraid to have an accident like that again. He was upset that he couldn't be there for 10 days until after the miscarriage. We do other things instead during that time period and then have sex when I'm no longer ovulating so it works out!