+ Follow This Topic

Thread: 'Date' with an old, recently single crush...

'Date' with an old, recently single crush...

I posted a few weeks ago in the general forum about my situation, but to sum up, I met this girl almost a decade ago when we were teens (we're both in our mid 20s now) and we've kept in touch over the years, she didn't like me romantically back then.

A few weeks ago she changed her number because of an ugly break up with "another immature guy" and she made sure I had it, then after two weeks of talking we went to dinner last night. We had a great time and sat and talked for almost 5 hours. She kept saying I was a nice, mature guy, something she's looking for, but just can't date right now and wants to clear her mind, wants to stay friends, but would love to go out again. I want to know if I should back off on her for a while or keep talking to her/seeing her? if her feelings about me have changed in the slightest I'd hate to mess it up, after all these years I still quite fancy her. Opinions?

I would be concerned that if you stick around as her friend, you may get friendzoned. But if you ask her to call if/when she's ready, she may forget about you in the meantime. My gut instinct is to make yourself scarce and let her miss you - but I can't say with any certainty that it will work.

At any rate, it's not worth putting yourself on hold for someone who isn't equally interested in you.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Thanks! I suppose time will tell. She sounds more interested than back in the day, but she did just get out of a relationship, so maybe I'll keep myself scarce and give her room. It's not gonna stop me from looking for other candidates/dating!

Hi affirm300: "She kept saying I was a nice, mature guy, something she's looking for...." Did you ask her what she meant by this? So often we are afraid to ask questions about what people mean when they make a statement. It is OK to ask for clarification: "So you think I'm nice and resemble something like what you are looking for......what do you mean?
    Then that opens the door to a discussion about her feelings about you. Would she be interested in more than a friendship? This shouldn't jeopardize your friendship. You haven't said how YOU feel. See what happens! Ann
    Ann