+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What do i do?

What do i do?

I have been with my bf now for 6 months, because i have been thinking about the whole love issue, i realised that i really do love him. So last night, i said the 3 magic words to him, knowing that he might not say it back, seeing as he did tell me that he never loved before, but i did have some hopes, as we function perfectly together...(hes 26, and hes longest relationship so far was 6 months) He didn't say it back, he told me that means a lot to him, and just held me. I got a tinsy bit pissed off, as its only human if someone rejects you, not blantantly but still... He told me that he cares a lot 4 me, and that hes never been sooo relaxed with a girl before, that hes never had that before in a relationship, not having no doubts. He also told me, that it would be dishonest of him to say it right back, just for the sake of it, and that if he said it first, he wouldn't at all expect me to say it, and wouldnt regard it is as honest. He said that i mean that much more to him because i feel that way about him, but hes just not there yet. I don't know what to think, i feel let down, like im hanging on the line now, waiting for him to say it, and i know the more i wait the more im going to pull away. I really do love him and am willing to wait, but how long is too long to be put out there on the line???

Would you rather he said it just to please you? He might have been burned before and is careful about that kind of stuff. He seems like a nice guy who cares about you and if you have it good together why would you want to end it over a simple phrase that I think some people place way too much importance in.

6 months? If hes not feeling it by now-id say that is weird. Does he have commitment issues? I know after 6 months its not "real love" its most likely infatuation but still its heading in that direction so most people just say it.

I'd be wary of someone who's never been in leg at age 26

*love*. Autocorrect fail
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 31-03-13 at 01:58 PM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I would gladly say it back, if someone felt that way.
    6 months is a good amount of time to know if you love someone, and I am concerned as to why he doesn't feel it to say it.
    I don't see what is so awkward for him to express what you mean to him.

Love means different things to different people. It is usually a good idea to come to terms with what it means to the other person before you ever say it. The term has been abused so much. I think love needs to be shown by actions anyway. Saying "I love you" is a bit like saying I am intelligent or I am funny. Anybody can say the words. Without action, love is meaningless. If he cares for you and is good to you, I would accept that as love, and not get hung up on the phrase. I wouldn't make a big deal about it. He will probably consult with his buddies and family and he may say it back eventually or not. Some guys have trouble dealing with emotions.