+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I need help with my panic attacks

I need help with my panic attacks

Hi I'm 20 years old and I'm female. My family has a history of panic disorders and also depression. I used to suffer from depression on and off for years but it was bearable.

I've been studying bio-medical sciences at college and it is the best course I have done and I've met some great people. About 5 months ago I was sitting in biology and all of a sudden, this wave of dizziness hit me, my heart started beating so hard I thought I was dying, I went all clammy, my chest got tight and my sight went funny. No one noticed and I quietly got up to go to the toilet and splashed some water on my face. I put it down as an once off and tried to ignore it but ever since then it has happened every time I have been in biology. There is nothing that frightens me about that class. I get on with most of the people, my lecturer is great, the work isn't too bad so I don't understand why I am like this.

I've taken lots of days off because of it. I took today off as well. I had a three hour biology class today which was mainly just revision, but I just stayed off. As much as I revise at home, I miss a lot from not being in class.

I was all for going today and then just before my alarm went off, the panic started again.

I've been to my GP who refered me to a mental health nurse and she is refering me to CBT and physiotherapy to teach me how to relax during an attack but I could be waiting up to 6 weeks for an appointment and my big final exams are in about 4 weeks.

I feel as though I am going crazy and I will explode or crumble at any minute

Could you get a counselling session in the meantime while you wait for your appointment. Also check out services in your local area. There may be a class that you can take once a week or a service for anxiety in your local area.

There is medication for panic disorder. Just make sure it's not addictive. Also, breathing techniques help as does exercise, Yoga, and meditation. Try some of these. And maybe you could meet with your professor, explain the situation, have someone tape the lectures and take your exams in another room or office where someone can proctor you.
    Also, do you have a history of trauma? If you do, this could be a PTSD symptom. Check it out.
    Ann

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Exposure therapy seems to be the most effective, and also cognitive behavioral therapy. I don't think you should allow yourself to leave your class when you have a panic attack. Every time you run away, you are reinforcing their occurrence. Just learn how to control your breathing (slow, deep breaths) until it passes. I do not advise you get started with anti-anxiety medications. That drug class has a high rate of abuse potential. You should have your thyroid checked though, if you are diabetic, check your blood sugar levels, and avoid caffeine and other stimulants. Also, take up yoga. It helps with relaxation.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Thats sucks when you have genes like that. What you can do is get advice from your family and dont do same mistakes as they did. Live healty of course. If its have to do something with CNS then sports will make you more stable in longterm.

Exposure therapy is real tough, but yes it is the most effective way. There is no need for medication, just a few nerve racking sessions.

They use this method on race horses. My ex's father was a jockey and when he retired he would have horses at his house to be trained to get over their fears. One horse had a fear of plastic bags so they tethered the horse tight and brushed the bag on the horses face. In no time the horse finally calmed down and was over it. I was amazed at the results.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post

They use this method on race horses. My ex's father was a jockey and when he retired he would have horses at his house to be trained to get over their fears. One horse had a fear of plastic bags so they tethered the horse tight and brushed the bag on the horses face. In no time the horse finally calmed down and was over it. I was amazed at the results.
    In your case it would mean rub your face against people around. So your panic would go away since there was no reason to panic in first place

LOL funny!

I am very sorry to hear what you are going through. I have had a few panic attacks in the past (years ago). Breathing slowly and deeply helped me out very much.
    While you wait for your appointment, a counseling session may help.

Hello dear,
    i am sorry to hear condition, but i also know that there are many people like you, that might be a bit of an encouragment i hope.
    anyway, between therapy, yoga and other things that you might experiment, i also advice you to try to take the control of the situation yourself, for example try to follow this steps on how to manage a crisis idlovetodothat.com/media-gallery/mediaitem/92-personal-development-what-to-do-in-a-crisis-idlovetodothat-com
    there are pratical exercise from a life coach in this short video, it might help you a bit!

all the best
    ilenia
    idlovetodothat.com
    ------------------------
    "Take charge of your life today"