+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son/Daughter rules....

Son/Daughter rules....

My question is mostly for the ladies I guess, do you think it's fair that girls get treated differently? My friends dad would never allow his daughter to stay past 11 (she's 20) and her brother (19) can stay till 2 no problem. Do you think this type of treatment is unfair and why?

May not be fair, but it is certainly understandable. Girls have a disproportionate burden to bear with regards to physical safety, unplanned pregnancy, etc. and the consequences are higher than they are for boys. This is why fathers tend to be so protective, and I, for one, approve of dads who love and wish to protect their daughters. And I bet her dad would allow her to stay out past 11 if she's doing something productive (meaning not just "hanging out" with nothing special to do).

Parents are always over protective about their daughters, nothing to be surprised about.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    And I bet her dad would allow her to stay out past 11 if she's doing something productive (meaning not just "hanging out" with nothing special to do).
    I agree with shh.

I can sort of understand the logic behind it.....you don't (usually) have to worry about your son walking down street at night and getting attacked by some pervert. Not to say that guys don't get jumped or anything............but sadly, women are most often targeted as opposed to males. Plus, you don't have to worry about your son getting pregnant.

They should still be given the same curfew though.....bored teenage boys out on the streets late at night sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well girls usually are treated differently than boys. boys are taught to be more independent and tough when it comes to situations and problems.

one thing that i do notice is that the younger child always gets the better end of the stick, reguardless which way you look at it.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusional
    one thing that i do notice is that the younger child always gets the better end of the stick, reguardless which way you look at it.

raverboy
    Thats s true. And so annoying dammit. (I was the older one, so I know)

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yup, i am the older one too... my sister gets away with practially everything.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I got to disagree i am the younger one and i hate it. My Mom worries so much more about me. Like if i stay out late, but its ok for my sister she live so far away and be able to see there for the summer and they will pay. totally unfair. when she had a guy she was able to go away for a weddin for me its like are you crazy are a nite i drinkin i just wanted to go back to his house and for sure the answer was no

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    May not be fair, but it is certainly understandable. Girls have a disproportionate burden to bear with regards to physical safety, unplanned pregnancy, etc. and the consequences are higher than they are for boys. This is why fathers tend to be so protective, and I, for one, approve of dads who love and wish to protect their daughters. And I bet her dad would allow her to stay out past 11 if she's doing something productive (meaning not just "hanging out" with nothing special to do).
    I agree. Girls can be like cats....let them out at night and they come back pregnant.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

I think the double standard does suck. I'm all for equality and while I agree there are higher risks for a woman, safety measures can take the place of stricter rules versus boys.

Especially on the pregnance issue. If ever I'd raise a boy, I'd try to raise him into the idea that if you bring a baby into the world, your life should be dedicated to the baby until s/he's old enough to go off on their own. Just because the woman physically has the child doesn't mean she should also do all the work post-birth. So if you're a responsible man, the pregnancy issue is a shared responsibility, not just one for the woman.

And, yeah, parents tend to be more lenient on the younger children..it's like they give up: "Ah, screw it, just do whatever you want..I'm tired of raising you little leeches!".. Ha ha..I'm going to get it from parents for that little joke..

unfortunately a lot of young boys don't see it that way. they're not physically carrying the child so it's easy to either deny that it's theirs or just run away completely.

if i had a daughter i'd like nothing better than to see her in a burka all the time and never leave the house.

but seriously, i'd give him the same curfew too. it's unfair that they get different ones.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    "Ah, screw it, just do whatever you want..I'm tired of raising you little leeches!".. Ha ha..I'm going to get it from parents for that little joke..
    Haha, I doubt it dude.

That just sounds like the straight up truth.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra
    if i had a daughter i'd like nothing better than to see her in a burka all the time and never leave the house.
    haha.. my friend is half pakistani and half philipina and is visiting her parents for the summer (she's twenty one).

but they won't let her go out alone.
    "Ogres are like onions."

Quote Originally Posted by artyemi
    haha.. my friend is half pakistani and half philipina and is visiting her parents for the summer (she's twenty one).

but they won't let her go out alone.
    See, I can understand the "alone" part more than the curfew. One thing is protecting them toward the risk of attack..another is protecting them from other liberties that a man may be less restricted towards: (sex, drugs, rock n roll...well, maybe not rock n roll..)

hmmm, she does that when she's here..

and all she wanted to do was dance salsa...
    "Ogres are like onions."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast