+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marry or not? Tonight the aswer..

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post

No, I think that overall men are probably a little more cautious about getting married if they're not sure about the one they're with, and women often think they can "fix" what they think is "wrong" with men.

Women also have the added bonus of a biologic imperative to pair off and reproduce before a certain age.

But regardless, blanket statements regarding that are wrong.
    I think you just contradicted yourself there.

Indeed I did not.

I said "overall" and "in general" - neither of which is a blanket statement that applies to all of a particular gender.

For instance, if I said "Asians are smart"

or

"Women can't read maps"

They're both equally wrong, no matter how prevalent the stereotype.

If, however I said "Asians students in the U.S. tend to have higher test scores than other ethnicities" or "most women I know can't read a map well" neither is incorrect... and neither is an absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Indeed I did not.

I said "overall" and "in general" - neither of which is a blanket statement that applies to all of a particular gender.

For instance, if I said "Asians are smart"

or

"Women can't read maps"

They're both equally wrong, no matter how prevalent the stereotype.

If, however I said "Asians students in the U.S. tend to have higher test scores than other ethnicities" or "most women I know can't read a map well" neither is incorrect... and neither is an absolute.
    I was referring to your accusation that I was making a blanket statement when evidently you are making same sort of statements.

I said "Guys make the stupidest excuses to not get married". I didn't use the word "all". I just said "guys" which can be any number of guys as long as it is more than one. I wasn't making a blanket statement.

Likewise, you said "Men/women overall..." which can also mean any number of people as long as it is more than one.

You see why I said you just contradicted yourself there?
    Last edited by fearoflove; 08-04-13 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post
    Don't you think that guys usually have problems with commitment/marriage and women are usually the ones who wants it though? I think socialization has alot to do with it. That's what I notice. Not saying everyone is like that. But there is a tendency towards it.
    Marriage is a big commitment and it should be a decision you don't regret. I think people who get engaged within the first year or two are idiots. It all happens too fast and ends in divorce. When I get married I want to be 100% sure coz I dont really believe in divorce (not unless he cheats on my anyway).

I have more respect for men who are cautious and who take their time. Marriage is something that you have to be ready for and nobody should push you into it.

Congrats to the OP enjoy the wedding

find another girl..settle problem

No wonder she is getting tired. 7 years? Marriage is about being on the same page. How well do each of you do that? Are you willing to be reasonable to deal with? Is she?

A big thing is the abillity for both of you to be willing to work out problems. This is what all the people with good marriages say that I've asked. Think about these things and then talk to her about them.

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post
    I was referring to your accusation that I was making a blanket statement when evidently you are making same sort of statements.

I said "Guys make the stupidest excuses to not get married". I didn't use the word "all". I just said "guys" which can be any number of guys as long as it is more than one. I wasn't making a blanket statement.

Likewise, you said "Men/women overall..." which can also mean any number of people as long as it is more than one.

You see why I said you just contradicted yourself there?
    Actually no. When you said "guys" I took that to mean "all guys", as you didn't qualify it. If you'd said 'some people', I'd have had no problem with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12